We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
67 reviews
230 helpful votes
Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

As the title says we bought a lovely greyhound over lockdown, he's made such a positive difference to our lives, but now we want to take him with us rather than leaving him on kennels. Could anyone recommend a good "dog city" in terms of where dogs are genuinely welcome in a lot of restaurants and hotels - thanks !

13 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,442 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
1. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

Hi JustinReid;

Your question is way too vague. This is a global forum,

It would be helpful if you posted WHERE in the world you're planning to travel. Knowing what country or countries you'll be visiting will allow people to suggest cities to visit with your pup.

Best Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
67 reviews
230 helpful votes
2. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

Very fair point ! Sorry I should have been more precise. So looking to travel along the west coast of California - renting a car and trying to treat the dog the same way I would another member of the family - i.e. not feeling uncomfortable about going to restaurants & hotels etc. thanks

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

Good luck with that, in the US.

Asheville NC is the most dog friendly town I have found in the US, and that’s not a patch on almost any regular European town outside Scandinavia.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

Nothing especially dog friendly about Asheville, IMO. The entire US is filled with dog friendly locations. (We rarely travel without one.)

Post on the California forum. Let them know when, for how long, any budget issues, and preferred locations/types of locations.

Generally, you cannot take a dog inside any establishment that prepares food but there are usually pet friendly outdoor dining options. Use bringfido.com to search for restaurants, lodging and activities that allow pets in any specific location, but conform directly with hotels that their policy hasn't changed before booking.

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,442 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
5. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

You're welcome, JustinReid!

I don't know your intended dates, but there are new regulations for bringing your dog into the US, effective August 1st, 2024.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs-entering-us-after-august-1.html#low-risk

Best Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
67 reviews
230 helpful votes
6. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

thank you all very much for your replies - reminds me while I love these forums - I was also sent this by Tripadvisor which I found very useful https://www.tripadvisor.com/Articles-l2cB2pP2AiZc-Pet_friendly_travel.html , lots of tips and ideas

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
23 reviews
29 helpful votes
7. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

Justin, if you are travelling to the US with your dog, be aware that when you fly back to the UK he will have to travel in the hold. Only accredited service dogs are allowed to travel into the UK in the cabin.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
129 reviews
95 helpful votes
8. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

A greyhound will have to travel in the hold, too large for the cabin.

I can’t imagine putting a dog through such a trip just for a holiday. Let alone the cost.

Edited: 22 May 2024, 06:00
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
9. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

#7 Most pet owners travel to the UK via the EU (usually Paris, Amsterdam or Dublin) to avoid the cost and hassle of compulsory cargo shipping. Since Brexit, that requires both EU and UK entry certification, but is still considerably cheaper as well as less stressful for dog and owner.

Edited: 22 May 2024, 14:13
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
129 reviews
95 helpful votes
10. Re: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !

#9 As the OP is traveling with a greyhound it has to go in the hold. Why would you travel via xxx if the dog is in the hold?

If OP is going to do this just choose a non stop flight into UK. Much less stressful for everyone.

Reply to: Got a dog over lockdown....don't want to leave him behind !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.