We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,441 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Do you plan to travel to the US with your dog?

As of August 1st, 2024, just simply bringing along your dog's Health Certificate and proof of rabies vaccinations will no longer suffice. Some very complicated rules and regulations are going to be instituted.

Important details can be found on this Center for Disease Control ( CDC ) webpage...

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs-entering-us-after-august-1.html#low-risk

15 replies to this topic
2 posts
1. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Our RV travel group has been researching these new rules since they were announced earlier this month. We contacted the CDC for clarification especially what regarding what paperwork is required for a Canadian dog to enter the US from Mexico (our RV group is traveling to Mexico from Canada next year). They didn't have an immediate answer for us but later emailed and suggested that Canadian dogs get re-vaccinated for rabies in the US prior to August 1 so they have US endorsed paperwork. Even then, there will be additional paperwork required for every single trip into the US. This makes no sense. The groups that will be impacted the most though are dog rescues. The additional paperwork required to enter the US with a dog will be overwhelming, time-consuming and expensive. Also no dogs under 6 months old will be allowed to enter the US.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Not only additional paperwork - dogs coming from, or that have been in, high risk countries will be required to book an appointment at a CDC approved location to have a compulsory further rabies vaccination immediately on arrival in the US. At a cost, obviously.

2 posts
3. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Dogs that have paperwork completed in the United States willl have to be microchipped. Also if they had a rabies vaccination before being microchipped it sounds like they are going to have to be re-vaccinated after the microchipping. After all of that is done, the US vet has to submit the paperwork to an online portal for approval. That isn't the end of the story. You take that paperwork with you when you leave the United States with your dog. However when you are ready to come back, within 10 days of your entry you need to complete an online form that includes uploading the form your vet gave you as well as photographs of your dog and identifying where you will be crossing the border into the United States which cannot be changed. For dogs that have never been to the United States and/or have their paperwork completed by a vet in another country, in addition to the microchipping and then the vaccination and the completion of paperwork by the vet, that paperwork then needs to be approved by a government veterinarian in that country (whatever that is) and it all has to be done within 30 days of the travel date into the United States. Once that paperwork is returned to you from the government veterinarian, you still need to complete the online form within 10 days of your entry into the United States in which you will have to upload the form completed by the vet, photos of your dog, and identify where you will be crossing the border into the United States which again cannot be changed. We are United States citizens and had a four week trip planned in September 2024 to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island and were planning to bring our dog. We just canceled the trip.

Edited: 26 May 2024, 23:34
2 posts
4. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Canadians, Americans, and Mexicans need to keep fighting these new rules. I understand the need for stricter rules when unvaccinated dogs are arriving from high-risk countries but there should be a streamlined process for traveling between Canada, the US, and Mexico. Mexico was the first in the world to obtain WHO validation for eliminating rabies as a public health problem. And what about people who rely on service dogs (sight assistance, medical alert, etc). They haven't even exempted these working dogs.

Lahore, Pakistan
4 posts
5. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Thanks for sharing info

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,441 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
6. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

You're welcome, Ahmad!

Uvalde, Texas
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

I live on the border and take my dogs to the vet in Mexico for all their medical needs. I don't see anything for just one day travel. does anyone else?

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,441 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
8. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Hi Carmen;

Respectfully, for something this important, I would suggest going to an official source, US Customs and Border Protection.

CBP can be reached at 1-877-CBP-5511

Best Regards

MJC
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

I will be driving from my home in Southeast Alaska to Southern California this October. My dog has been vaccinated for rabies, and I have the paperwork documenting this fact. My drive to the lower 48 takes me through Canada where I will cross into the United States. This is confusing. Any advice? I live in a rural area of Alaska where there are no Veterinary clinics near my home. Thanks

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,441 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
10. Re: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024

Hi MJC;

As an American travelling with their dog to the lower 48, I would presume that there would be an exception, but it would be best to get an official answer from the CBP. See reply #8, above.

Please post back here when you hear from the CBP so that we can use your experience to assist others.

Best Regards

Reply to: Bringing your dog into the US, new rules starti Aug 1, 2024
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.