We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

We will be traveling to Nova Scotia by car from Atlanta with our 11 month Goldendoodle during the month of June 2024. I understand that all that is needed is a rabies vaccine certificate. However, it says it needs to be signed by the veterinarian. The form I received from my vet has all the required information but isn’t signed just has her name printed and license number. Will this suffice?

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
50,132 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Heres the Official website from the Government of Canada, which lists the requirements they deem necessary

https://inspection.canada.ca/en/importing-food-plants-animals/pets

If you fill out the sections required, it DOES State the vaccine certificate be signed by a Veterinarian

No one here is an Official border agent, or authorized to speak on their behalf

All of the Forums are member to member advice or opinions ....

Edited: 30 May 2024, 01:09
West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,442 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
2. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Hi leecat52;

For an official answer, the Canada Border Services Agency can be reached at 1-800-461-9999

Best Regards

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Yes. Call your vet and explain it needs to be signed.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
4. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
5. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
4 posts
6. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Thank you, everyone for your responses. I have secured a signed rabies certificate from my veterinarian, went to the website and received info regarding entering Canada and returning to USA via car and called the border patrol. We are set to travel!

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
109,442 posts
97 reviews
640 helpful votes
7. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

You're welcome!

8. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline requiring that all messages be written in English.

What are forum guidelines?

2 posts
9. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

We are also going on a trip with our dog, but it's going to be a long one. We'll drive for 2 days and stay the night at a hotel. Ofcourse we're often going to take a stop for our dog. But I don't really know how to prepare for the drive. Do I need to take a lot of food with me for the drive to? and what type of food? I was thinking about something like this: https://www.dehuisdiersuper.nl/hondenvoer-profine-salami-chicken-with-vegetables-0-8kg because it's easy to make and easy for him to eat. Water should not be a problem since you can get it at every stop. The thing is I don't really know how much and how often to feed him during our trip

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog

You should feed him the same food he eats at home on the same schedule. Abrupt diet changes have consequences you don't want, especially in the car. We always have a plastic container with water since they like to sip throughout the day, and keep to the usual walk/quick potty break timetable as closely as possible.

Reply to: Traveling to Nova Scotia with dog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.