We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Destination for Families with Divergent Interests??

MIwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Destination for Families with Divergent Interests??

We are a family of five. My wife (46) and two daughters (16, 14) love beaches and relaxing. My son (11) and me (44) prefer a little more action (cities, amusement parks, etc.) along with some relaxation. Is there a location(s) that can satisfy these divergent interests? I am looking for a good destination for Spring Break this year. We live in Milwaukee and I prefer to stay within the continental U.S.

Edwardsville, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Destination for Families with Divergent Interests??

How about San Diego? There are some pretty good beaches, and you guys could visit La Jolla and go handgliding, or hike some of the more rugged beaches.

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Destination for Families with Divergent Interests??

You could split your week up by doing a couple of days in Orlando followed by a few days at the beach. Arizona might also work for you. You could spend a few days in Phoenix at a resort and then spend a couple of days in Sedona where you can do fabulous hikes and take a Pink Jeep tour over the rocks (a lot of fun).

Washington
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Destination for Families with Divergent Interests??

All good ideas. I am originally from Milwaukee, and every spring we would spend three weeks in Florida. It was a popular destination, easy and relatively inexpensive to get to from Milwaukee. We would stay in the Fort Myers Beach area (Estero Island). I would also look at Sanibel Island/Captiva, depending on your budget.

I too, also recommend Orlando/Disney area. So many hotel choices with all the bells and whistles, shopping, plus amusement parks. I like the Disney resorts for vacation ease, and they have SO many accommodation choices at all price points. Look too at the Disney Vero Beach Resort for a beach option.

Have you considered the Florida Keys?

Are you looking at March or April? Easter is so late this year that spring breaks vary widely. That could make a difference in terms of weather.

4. Re: Vacation Destination for Families with Divergent Interests??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 14:16
Get answers to your questions