We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito bites in Rio Grande

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquito bites in Rio Grande

I've just returned home from a wonderful family vacation in Rio Grande. I used deet and took precautions, but was bitten by mosquitos. The resort assured me that there have been no reported cases of Zika in the Rio Grande area. Can any local experts confirm this? Would you recommend a blood test just in case? I am not currently pregnant. Thank you for your help.

4 replies to this topic
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito bites in Rio Grande

You are not pregnant. You have no symptoms. Why would you test yourself for zika? Why not for dengue as well?

Relax.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito bites in Rio Grande

Get tested if it makes you feel better. But why?

You are correct that the vast majority of people who are infected experience no symptoms.

Are you planning to get pregnant or get someone pregnant soon?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito bites in Rio Grande

There have been some cases of Zika in the Rio Grande area in the last year including the last few weeks (though not a lot like in SJ area). However, if you may become pregnant (planned or otherwise) in the next few months, both you and your partner may want to be tested just for peace of mind. See what your physician recommends.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,520 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito bites in Rio Grande

There is simply no indication to get tested just because you might have been bitten by mosquitos (might be something else). A negative test does not mean anything.

Reply to: Mosquito bites in Rio Grande
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted