We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

Has anyone been there since Irma? What I'm wanting to know is if the beautiful resort landscaping (especially the palm trees around the pool) were destroyed and is now sparse looking? Don't want a "new resort" look with immature landscaping. Am considering Hawaii for a honeymoon for my daughter in the fall, then, if it has lost it's tropical look.

Thank You.

11 replies to this topic
NW Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
288 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

We are considering a trip here ourselves (for first time) in late March as we just read that they are reopening March 1st. Any additional info about this area and getting to it from SJU would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

I wound up calling the resort direct and speaking with the front desk person. She said most of the palm trees withstood the hurricane and that the photos of the pool area and beach that they have on their website look just about what it looks like now. We aren't sending my daughter and new son-in-law till the end of Sept. so I'm not worried too much any more. Hope another hurricane doesn't hit! OMG! That was the only time the two of them could get off from work. She said it still is very tropical. Hope she is telling me the truth!!! LOL! I went and booked it.

I went thru American Airlines vacation package and got a good deal. It didn't include a rental car (which it had included on the original booking I had for Dec). So I went online and booked them a car rental thru "Kayak". $205.00 for the week for an economy car. Since everything is spread out on the island, a car is a must. When I went to book it the page said that there weren't many rentals left as this area was in "high demand" for rental requests. So I didn't wait. I guess everyone that had to cancel their original trip in 2017 and up till March 1st 2018 is re-booking so hotels/car rentals will be at a premium.

The only thing that is disappointing is that the beautiful "El Yunque" rainforest that is right there by the resort took a real bad hit and a lot is destroyed. I read where it is closed and they don't know when it will re-open. From the photos online that I see it looks like it is going to be quite a while. Very sad. That was a big tourist attraction. The bio-luminescent water area where they had after dark kayak tours was also affected.

My daughter wanted to horseback ride on the beach and I had found a wonderful horse stable that ran horseback rides along the beach very close to the resort. Sadly I contacted them after the hurricane and they said they were wiped out and that they would not be re-opening. The closest stables I have found are near San Juan and even further east along the coast, so it'll be good that they have a car. Also....Since the resort is not located near a lot of restaurants (like San Juan), it'll help that they can drive over to a few of the neighboring towns near the resort to grab some meals. The resort's restaurants are expensive so they can save a bit by going for breakfast and most dinners elsewhere.

Everyone likes different things so just research the resort and the surrounding area and see what Puerto Rico offers! Have a great trip. When you get back could you be as kind as to post here again and let me (and everyone else) know what your experience was with the resort and your trip in general.

Thank you! Have fun!

Edited: 07 February 2018, 09:50
Mentioned in this post
NW Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
288 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

If we go, I don't know that we plan on renting a car since we're not sure how much we'll leave the resort. So we would still like information on getting to the resort from SJU.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

Pudge56, you know peak hurricane season is late september, right? And if there is no hurricane, there are storms, or it rains on and off...

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

Hacienda Carabali has been back in operation for a few month. They are 10 minutes from the Resort.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,144 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

@KLS96: Unless you rent a car, you will be stuck at the resort. Having spent a few days at Riomar, I strongly suggest you rent a car so you are able to explore outside the resort and enjoy what the area has to offer: the rainforest, the bio bay, Luquillo beach and the kiosks, etc.

@Pudge56: I'm sorry to say that September is a very tricky time to visit PR. As mentioned above, it's the peak of hurricane season. During that time anything can happen as the weather becomes very unpredictable. I myself have family in PR, yet I avoid visiting the island at all costs during hurricane season.

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo Beach
Luquillo Beach
992 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

Yes I know this is hurricane season. Unfortunately this is the only month my daughter and son-in-law could re-book their honeymoon. It originally was for Dec. 2nd-9th (2017) but then the hurricane hit. Thankfully the American Airlines Vacations package and the Trip insurance that was paid for was able to be carried over to a new date of their choice. The only requirement was that the trip had to be completed by no later than Sept. 25th (2018). They extended that by a week when they couldn't get off of work till Sept. 30th. Yes I'm not thrilled that they are going at this time but by the looks of it it seems like it's always tropical storms in these islands. It was those dates or no honeymoon!

As far as transport from the airport to the resort and vice versa, if you don't want to get a rental car, just Google "transfers from the San Juan airport". There are several transfer companies listed there. I believe the resort offers paid transfers so give them a call directly. You can also hire an "Uber or "Lyft" driver. That seems to be the cheapest with taxis being the most expensive.

Edited: 08 February 2018, 02:17
Mentioned in this post
San Juan Airport Hotel
San Juan Airport Hotel
1,081 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

Yep... it has lost its "feel" as you say. I was there last week and was very disappointed. Wyndham should wake up and stop trying to force a concept that is totally incompatible with Rio Mar.

Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

Thanks! Could you go into more detail about what you stated at the end of your reply? Not sure about the point you were trying to make. I was asking in my original post if Hurricane Irma wiped out a lot of the vegetation/palm trees. I imagine if it did that by the time the end of Sept. rolls around it will be almost 11 months since it hit. Hopefully the "tropical vegetation ambiance" will be back. How did it look as far as everything else?

Cos Cob, Connecticut
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort

What do you mean by "Lost it's feel"

We will be there for the 1st time next month.

Reply to: Wyndham Gran Rio Mar Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted