We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

I am having the hardest time finding a Villa rental for next week in Rio Grande. It seems there is some decent availability but everyone wants cash up front. (or a check, same thing) For me it would be a huge leap of faith to send money to an unknown person that far away and then assume all would be well when I arrive. Additionally I am travelling on business and my expenses will not be reimbursed for a month after I travel, so I am reluctant to spend a large sum of my own out of pocket cash. I know I can stay at the hotel, but I was so hoping to find a Villa or studio that would be so much more comfortable. There are only two of us so we don't need anything large.. Suggestions?

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

I personally wouldn't pay cash for a vacation rental anywhere. If you pay by credit card, you can have a greater security that you will get what you were promised, otherwise you can always request your credit card company the money back because of fraud. The credit card company will cancel this person ability to accept credit cards and he will be out of business or only with the ability to accept cash. If you pay by cash you are much more exposed to loose your money. I certainly wouldn't risk my vacation this way.

We have rented villas at Rio Mar (in the town of Rio Grande) every summer for a few years and have always paid by credit card. I just posted a message with info on where to rent a villa at the Rio Mar, but in case you cannot find it, here it goes again. Many owners listed here accept credit cards. homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r10131

The resort agents for sure accept credit cards http://www.resortvillarentals.com

I just realized you want to rent something for next week. That may be the reason you are having a had time renting a villa. Most probably the best ones and the ones that accept credit cards are booked. Right now is high touristic season in PR.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

I would try calling Xavier at resort villa rentals. He is very honest and let you know what is available. They accept credit cards. If he doesn't have anything, maybe he. Can recommend someone that does. There is another rental agency at rio mar, but we never used them.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

I would love to go with resort villa rentals but from what I can tell their rentals are almost double the price of other rentals. There are only two of us and really we just need a studio or one bedroom and don't have to be ocean front. I was quoted $350 a night from resort villa rentals for that type of rental and the company I work will not allow for that price in our expenses.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

I have used Resort Villa Rentals in the past and their rates are not doble the rates of individual owners. You certainly could find individual owners that rent lower than them, but the villa won't be in the same condiiton or the same age. I have done this reasearch myself every year for our summer vacation, and we have used them not only because the villa we like is managed by them, but also because they have a concierge and handyman on site so if anything goes wrong you are not there on your own. I don't mind paying a few bucks extra for this peace of mind.

I am sure that the villa they are requesting $350 per night is a beachfront villa, as this rate is similar to the rate he quoted me per night for Holy Week.

At Rio Mar you can find many different types of properties available for rent, from 30 year old studios in their original condition to brand new 3 (or maybe 4) bedroom beachfront villas. In my expererience they only manage the remodeled villas, so you won't find bargain villas with them.

On the original replied made, I placed a link where you could contact individual villa owners. There you will find villas on all different price ranges and conditions. I would certainly go with a remodeled one, with lots of feedback and an owner that accepts credit cards.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

At this late date, you'd be lucky to find a private rental in Rio Grande that's available ... let along takes credit cards.

We, and a number of people we know that have rentals in the rain forest in Rio Grande, take credit cards ... but we've all been booked for this time of year for months.

Go with a hotel ...

United States
Level Contributor
202 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

We rented a villa for the Rio Mar area through Homeaway.com. We paid a deposit through paypal and also purchased the insurance from Homeaway.com which will protect us from any fraud.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

It actually amazes me how many of the VR' s in PR only accept cash. I was also leery to rent a cash only place.

I assume they are cash only for either 1 or possibly both of 2 reasons:

1) If it is a small place, it does not pay to have a CC company (it costs money). But they could use PayPal, but they may be a bit behind the times in this computer age and don't know how to set that up. It also costs money for the owner. Cash is just easier for them to deal with and they have been running their business that way for years.

2) They are part of the huge cash economy, and do not want to report the income.

We know some rentals in the area that are cash only. I don't know why, but I know they are real rentals and nice places. If you have found a place you like, you can ask on here and maybe someone knows it and can recommend it.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

I found one! Thanks to Xavier, who saved the day with his pleasant demeanor! I feel confident that I am making the right decision and that we are going to be pleased with the villa rental that he is offering! Thank you everyone for the suggestions and insights. Now .. I have a three hr meeting one of the three days while there and then the rest of the time is mine.. what shall we do?

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

I just realized that I never reported back about Resort Villa Rentals. Let me just say that Xavier and staff exceeded my expectations and that we were delighted with the villa rental. Xavier was able to set us up in a lovely villa that met our budget requirements. I would highly recommend Xavier and this company, and the next time I visit Rio Grande I will be contacting him again. Excellent person to do business with and beautiful villa!

10. Re: Villa Rentals Rio Grande accepting CC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 15:17