We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm Bertha

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Storm Bertha

So it looks like the storm will be passing on the south of PR at about 8pm Saturday, our first night there. Mainly rain, but I'm still worried about storm surge on the beach. But I'll be staying by the beach in Rio Grande, which is the opposite corner of the island from where the storm will be passing.... but normally the northern half of the storms have more rain.... sooo.... what will it be like? Will flooding be a concern in Rio Grande if the storm is on the south side of the island?

Mentioned in this post
Rio Grande
Rio Grande
Puerto Rico
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,232 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm Bertha

What you should be worried about is your flight.......when are you flying in? Might get cancelled or delayed.

Flooding is always a concern with heavy rains. There is rain throughtout the system, not only through the center of the storm, which is what the forecast shows you. PR is so small that the storm will cover us. That said, you are from FL, so you know not to worry much. Be best to ask your rental owner if the property is on a flooding zone. We can't predict whether there be a surge or not.

Perhaps our DEs from Rio Grande could give you more insight.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Grande
Rio Grande
Puerto Rico
Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm Bertha

We're flying early Saturday morning, we should arrive by 10:30.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm Bertha

Oops, forgot to mention SJU.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm Bertha

Don't over-think this. Expect some heavy rain and maybe 40-50 MPH winds max on Saturday. Whenever we get heavy rain, there is localized flooding (tropical storm or not). Expect some rough surf. Stay out of the ocean for 24-48 hours after the rains stop, especially near the mouths of rivers.

The storm is not all that well organized at the moment, so the projected course could still change a lot (as it has over the past couple of days).

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm Bertha

I talked to the lady from the rental, and she says they've never had an issue, so I'm not worried anymore. ]

\The lady even told me if there was a problem we could stay at her house! Talk about customer service. So now it's a matter of will they cancel my flight? We'll see. The other thing I'm worried about - sorry to be overthinking it! - is driving from the airport to the condo. It looks like it's going to be very windy and I'm very uncomfortable driving in those conditions.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,232 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm Bertha

I think rain is expected in SJ in the afternoon. Your flight might be the last to come in, who knows. I would just wait and see what the weather looks like when you arrive, and decide if it safe to drive. You can always stay in SJ for one night. The worst of the rain should have cleared out by sunday.

7. Re: Tropical Storm Bertha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 13:16