We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekends Crowded in Shimoda and Ito?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weekends Crowded in Shimoda and Ito?

Before returning to Tokyo on Sunday, November 5, my wife and I are considering staying three nights in either Shimoda or Ito, spending time on Friday and Saturday in this area. Are these two places weekend jaunts for the Japanese? Will they be crowded? Between the two, which is the more attractive for a hotel stay?

We will return to Tokyo by train on Sunday, concluding our two week JapanRail pass. If we take a train leaving before noon from either Shimoda or Ito to Tokyo, will we be avoiding the weekend crowd returning to Tokyo on the train?

Thanks for any insights.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Shimoda
Shimoda
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Ito
Ito
Shimoda Central Hotel
Shimoda Central Hotel
#1 of 64 hotels in Shimoda
Shimoda Yamatokan
Shimoda Yamatokan
#2 of 64 hotels in Shimoda
Shimoda Tokyu Hotel
Shimoda Tokyu Hotel
#3 of 64 hotels in Shimoda
2 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekends Crowded in Shimoda and Ito?

You can reserve seats on the train, so I very much doubt you will have an issue. One of the trains (Super Odoriko) is all reserved, no unreserved.

Just to advise...Ito is covered by the regular JR rail pass, Shimoda is not and will cost extra. The portion of rail line between Ito and Shimoda is an extra charge of 2130 yen per person each way.

I have been to both and I suppose Shimoda is "better" but that's really a matter of opinion. Atami is also an option. Some like it, some don't.

Mentioned in this post
Ito
Ito
Shimoda
Shimoda
Atami
Atami
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekends Crowded in Shimoda and Ito?

It'd be more crowded in Izukyu-Shimoda in the summer holidays when its beaches would be packed. Ito is a relatively quiet seaside onsen town. In early Nov guess both would be fine without too much crowd.

I'd suggest onsen hotels in Shimoda with seaview. If you rent a car from there for 1-2 days, it'd be fairly easy to visit the coastline in Irozaki, Dogashima or the Nana (Seven) waterfalls uphill from Izu-Kawazu.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Izukyu
Hotel Izukyu
197 Reviews
Shimoda, Japan
Ito
Ito
Shimoda
Shimoda
Irozaki
Irozaki
124 Reviews
Minamiizu-cho, Japan
Izu
Izu
Kawazu-cho
Kawazu-cho
Kamo-gun, Japan
Reply to: Weekends Crowded in Shimoda and Ito?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shimoda