We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

I'll be traveling solo in Shimoda between Oct. 29 and Nov. 1. I'm more interested in seeing fall foliage and soaking in some good onsen rather than the beaches (I'm sure it will be too cold to get in anyway).

Can you please recommend some good public onsen or places to see the leaves changing color? Would you recommend renting a car to get around the peninsula? If so, how mountainous is it? While I wouldn't classify myself as a terrible driver, I do have difficulty going up and down mountain passes that wind--I tend to go slower than everyone else appreciates.

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

Izu Peninsula has a lot to see and do. We drove around for almost 5 days and still hadn’t seen all we wanted to see, so with 3-4 days you have to choose and select carefully those places you want to go. Your time of visit is a bit early for autumn foliage in the peninsula. In average year the season doesn’t start till mid Nov and late Nov is said to be the best time for koyo.

A self-drive road trip would indeed let you fully maximize the limited time available and yes, there are curvy mt roads to deal with but the drive shouldn’t be too difficult as traffic on the peninsula is relatively light.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

Great! Thank you so much!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

Keep in mind that they drive on the left side of the road in Japan.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

It'd be ideal if you can spare at least 2 to 3 days to explore Izu Peninsula by car, as buses are infrequent. As mentioned, end Oct would still be early for koyo in that area, though you can enjoy coastal features, waterfalls, nice onsen and fresh seafood.

Roads are narrower, speed limit is 50km/h and overtaking is prohibited in most sections such as along mountainous roads. In general, the local drivers are more patient. Rent a small hybrid car of about 1.5 litre would suffice in your case.

you may refer to my last driving trip in dec 2014.

japantravelinsights.com/2016/…

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
471 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

In Japan everyone drives slowly as the speed limits are quite low :) Near Ito there are some great onsen on the shore looking over the sea

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

Thanks for the tips!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?

Check a Japanese keywords "伊豆ドライブ” (= Izu Driving); there are so many suggested routes and blogs are showing on the internet.

Izu's great view spots:

https://sotoasobi.net/6/22/44/blog/izu-zekkei

If you like to see Koyo (autumn color foliage) at late October to early November. , I suggest you to go somewhere in Gunma pref.

Ikaho Onsen (伊香保温泉) & Mt.Haruna (Harunasan/榛名山), Agatsuma Canyon (Agatsuma Keikoku/吾妻渓谷), Mt. Akagi (Akagi-san/赤城山), Teruha Gorge (Teruha-kyo/照葉峡), etc. You can do a day trip from Tokyo by car.

https:/…migoro_10c_3.html

Reply to: Touring the Izu Peninsula in fall?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shimoda