We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

I am soon off on a 15 day Japan excursion with my family. The idea was to finnish with two days on the beach and hopefully som really good Onsen experiences. However, what has come up as a possible issue is the transportation from Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport.

Our flight leaves at 11.40 AM local time. And I have two options as it seems:

The first, which almost is to early leaves at 05.40 AM and has connection through ITO, ATAMI and TOKYO before reaching Narita at 9.28 AM

The second option leaves at 6.08 AM and has connections through ITO, ATAMI and SHINAGAWA before reaching Narita at 9.58 AM

It is a long ride (both will take close to 4 hours) with many connections, some with just a few minutes (eg. ITO) to change trains. Is this a risky route to take, sure don't want to miss our 12 hour flight home :) Are there any smoother options, or would leaving late the day before with a night spent on the way be a better option?

I have also been looking at a similar type destination with good beaches and Onsen closer to the airport, but this seems to be the closest one.

Would be thankful for any information helping us on the way.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Izukyu
Hotel Izukyu
197 Reviews
Shimoda, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Ito
Ito
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Atami
Atami
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Shinagawa
Shinagawa
Tokyo, Japan
11 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

Personally I would recommend staying at an onsen ryokan in Izu earlier than the night before departure at eleven in the morning at Narita. The changes aren't really complicated at all but it's not so good trying to relax when you have a busy stressful day to come. Although a ryokan would be up and running by five, you would need at least to mention that you'd be leaving that early.

The nearest onsen by the sea from Narita should be Inubozaki near Choshi, btw.

Mentioned in this post
Izu
Izu
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Choshi
Choshi
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

Thank you for a very quick response :)

How are the beaches on the northern side of the Izu pennisula? Getting information about Japaneese beaches in English outside of Okinawa is not easy. The reason why I fell for Shimoda were the onsens and nice not too over crowded beaches. Having two full days before going to Narita, maybe it is worth it?

Mentioned in this post
Izu
Izu
Shimoda
Shimoda
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

Shimoda together with Shirahama Beach is indeed a very good seaside destination. Besides the beautiful beach and an onsen experience Shimoda has quite a bit of historical sites for the purpose of sightseeing as well.

As for the concern of the long journey from Shimoda to Narita Airport, is that any chance of taking a late train to spend the last night back in Tokyo before going to the airport the next morning!? I have also sent you a private message, please check your Tripadvisor mailbox.

Mentioned in this post
Shimoda
Shimoda
Shirahama Beach
Shirahama Beach
184 Reviews
Shimoda, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

Staying the last night in Tokyo and even a Narita Airport hotel is being thought of, but would really want to stay the last night if possible (as PM'ed). I see the challanges though and we might just have to do this to make sure we get on our flight home.

Have an additional question that I haven't been able to google translate. The Ryokan we are hoping to stay at has it's own Onsen. The reception closes at 6 PM. Does that mean that the Onsen will close then as well? Our plan for this part of the trip, was to use the day for a little sightseeing, but mainly the beach and spend the night in the Onsen when our little one has fallen asleep.

Finally, an etiquette question. Where I come from it is common to bring a beer or two when you go to a Sauna or a hot tub. Many Spas even have a bar. Is that allowed in Japan? From what I have read, my guess is no. Asking the questions anyways, just making sure I am not missing out on anything :)

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

That is usually not allowed and are kept for after-bath feast. In rare cases you are able to purchase sake for the bath, but otherwise no.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

That was my guess, but thank you for clarifying.

What about the opening ours of the Onsen? Will it be the same as the reception hours, or will you be able to utalize the bath outside of these ours as a Ryokan overnight guest?

Using google-translate, I haven't been able to find this information on the Ryokan website:

http://www.rendaijiso.jp/bath

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

You can take bath there any time from check−in to nine in the morning, including midnight hours.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

While Shimoda is a worthwhile and relaxing place to visit, it's far even from Tokyo (3-4 hrs), much less Narita. Most do it on a day trip or two from Tokyo, and fly out of Narita couple of days later.

No, there are beach destinations closer to Tokyo in Chiba. It's an underestimated area, and you can find fancy ryokans there with onsens. My complaint with Izu Peninsula is it's a bit cluttered (particularly the western coastline), whereas Boso Peninsula in Chiba is more spread out. This is a large download (10 mb), but many accomodations abound:

www.yado.or.jp/common/pdf/english-all.pdf

Suggested trip itineraries in Chiba can be found in this excellent link, with a comprehensive map to see where everything is in location to each other. There should be something to interest anyone:

chiba-tour.jp/dp/…20A4_chiba_mc_EN_0403.pdf

If you want to visit a quaint seaside town, visit Katsuura which has one of the three most famous morning markets in Japan:

japanesefoodreport.com/2008/11/katsuura-morn…

As Yobeekoi mentioned, Choshi is quite laid back and non-touristy:

www.chiba-tour.jp/html/reco-choshi_en.html

The second longest stretch of sand beach in Japan is in Kujukuri:

japantimes.co.jp/life/…

…blogspot.com/2011/11/long-beach-ini-kujukur…

Tateyama has a variety of things to see (castle, flower park, lighthouse, poppy field, red temple on the side of a mountain, air raid shelters you can enter):

mlit.go.jp/kankocho/…kanko.pdf

globosapiens.net/travel-information/Tateyama…

There's a reason why the JR train company sponsored many of their weekend hikes in Chiba Prefecture.

Mentioned in this post
Shimoda
Shimoda
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Chiba
Chiba
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Izu
Izu
Katsuura
Katsuura
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Choshi
Choshi
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tateyama
Tateyama
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Chiba Prefecture
Chiba Prefecture
Kanto, Japan
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

Thank you for very interesting information. If I hadn't booked the Ryokan just outsida Shimoda already I would have made it serious consideration in exchanging Shimoda for this Area. However, as it is all booked and paid for. It will be a Hazel to cancel, get the Money back etc. This will for sure not be my last trip to Japan, so I just need to save it for later.

what I have done though is to have reschedule some of my trip so we will have 3 Nights in the Shimoda area. Thereafter, the plan is to take some afternoon/night transportation (could also consider bus, to see something New on the way) towards Tokyo. Have a good Nights sleep without having to get up at the crack of dawn the next morning.

Right now we are considering Ito, Atami and Shinagawa. Might alos consider going to Narita and spending the night at an airport hotel.

Any suggetion to how to make this as cheap and smooth as possible is most welcome :)

Mentioned in this post
Shimoda
Shimoda
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Ito
Ito
Atami
Atami
Shinagawa
Shinagawa
Tokyo, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Izukyu Shimoda to Narita Airport

Bus is a bit too time consuming in Izu Area. Not only that the roads are winding in the hills, the only existing 1-2 north-south roads gets very congested in Summer holidays. I would rather recommend the train as the most predictable and relaxing option. There aren't so many interesting places between Atami or Odawara and Tokyo, apart from Kamakura, and perhaps Yokohama. Narita is a fun place to stay, actually, if you have half a day to spend at the souvenir-shops filled old pilgrimage road that leads to the Naritasan Shinshoji Temple complex (airport hotels in turn are boring).

Edited: 31 July 2014, 07:10
Mentioned in this post
Izu
Izu
Atami
Atami
Odawara
Odawara
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo