We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to the Kimberley

2 posts
Save Topic
driving to the Kimberley

Hi, Guys

I Have a Subaru xv and was wondering how accessible the Kimberley is going to be with it. it has a 2" lift on it so an overall of 270ish mm of ground clearance and around 500mm wadding depth. I'm driving across from Sydney at the end of the year and want to make sure I know where I can and cant go.

6 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to the Kimberley

You mean wet season?

Where in the Kimberley ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to the Kimberley

What time of year?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to the Kimberley

If end of the year then forget about it, even the highway can get closed and Broome and surrounding area seems to get one cyclone passing through before Christmas. The Gibb River road is normally closed by then.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to the Kimberley

https:/…9386352

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to the Kimberley

Okay thanks, i kinda thought it wouldnt be great at that time but wasnt too sure.

During the dry season would there still be a decent number of places accessible with my xv? The gibb river road in particular

Edited: 10 February 2018, 04:51
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to the Kimberley

No

El Questro shuts down, as does Home Valley. You XV will not make it through water crossings, especially if the Penetcost is up and running. Its generally a puddle in the dry , but a bit of rain and you will float away .

Many of the tracks require 4wd for a reason and that is the higher clearance. Your car will get stuck on rocks on tracks to gorges and will not get through water.

The Gibb is unsealed, is corrugated and your car which Im sure will not have great seals , will be infiltrated by red dust. The Gibb also will get closed in somme posts as the road gets too damaged when it rains and water access is an issue. It is very remote with only two small stores along the whole length and basically just stations.

Its not the car to take if you want to get to gorges and down tracks. There is not much that can just be reached by walking off the road.

Maybe some more research is needed :} Look at th threads on the Kimberley forum.

Edited: 10 February 2018, 06:29
Reply to: driving to the Kimberley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kimberley Region