We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire road tolls a problem

scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire road tolls a problem

We are planning a Panama trip in January, hope to rent a car from Albrook airport and drive to Coronado. I have heard the toll system has changed and it is near impossible for tourists unsure of the country to obtain these transponder cards. Anyone have advice please.

10 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

Going from Albrook to Coronado you will not have to travel on any of the toll roads. The toll roads are only Corredor Sur and Corredor Norte in and around Panama City. They only affect people driving rental cars from Tocumen Airport.

scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

thank you so much for clarifying this big help for us.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
217 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

We will be traveling PTY airport to Pedasi. Also concerned about the toll roads. Is there a way to get out of town towards Pedasi w/o driving the toll roads? If not, how do we go about paying the tolls? I've heard horror stories of this for tourists as well.

I've heard our rental car company (Dollar) has now implemented two options:

6.99/day for unlimited tolls

or

$40 fee + tolls

Either way for us is extreme as we are just driving to/from the airport to go to Pedasi the entire 12 days.

Suggestions?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

The only toll road that might concern you is Corredor Sur, which goes from near Tocumen airport to Panama City. You can take another road, Domingo Diaz, AKA Tumba Muerto. This will take you through some pretty heavy (read that as insane) Panama traffic and into the center of Panama City. From there, you can take other non-toll roads to either the Bridge of the Americas or the Centennial Bridge and then, once you're across the Canal, it's pretty much a straight shot (without any tolls) to the turn to Chitre and Pedasi. Send me a PM if you would like more detailed driving directions.

One thing to consider -- what time are you arriving at Tocumen? It's a good 7 to 8 hours from Tocumen to Pedasi, and you do not want to be driving on Panama's interior roads in the dark -- which is any time after 6:30 PM.

Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

I picked up a rental in Panama today from National and the Xponder was installed by the rental agency..works great!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
217 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

How did you pay for it? I'm being told it's a $40 admin fee + tolls or a $6.99/day unlimited tolls?

7. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 October 2015, 23:49

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
217 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

Thank you for your rudeness gb_williams. I was asking b/c what has been reported was one rental car company in particular. Was curious to hear what a different rental car company experience was. It's always good to obtain different individuals experiences. They are not all the same as I've learned from using various forums.

If you don't like my posts please refrain from reading them. Thank you.

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

Your rental car should come with a PanaPass installed on it. You can add the money there at the counter. I would suggest to add $5 and you can add more down here in Coronado when you get there :)

Hope this helps! Also check this about apps and some really good pointers for moving here and visiting here!

tropiclivin.com/index.php/…

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,352 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire road tolls a problem

Tiffany - I suspect that different rental companies have different systems - but it may not be a simple as you make out.

Reply to: Car hire road tolls a problem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Coronado