We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

Which Ko Lipe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

We are planning to travel to Koh Lanta in late July 2011, and we then want to travel to Koh Lipe before moving on to Langkawi. We ideally wanted to do this via boat without going back to the mainland, however we have read that as July will be low season in Koh Lipe we can't do this.

We've read some conflicting information as we have read that there is only one boat a day from May to November from Koh Lipe to Pak Bara, but other places have said that there are some other boats that run but not as often. As Koh Lipe seems to be increasing in popularity, is it likely that this low season there will be more boats?

Can anyone help as to the best way to go from Koh Lanta to Koh Lipe then on to Langkawi? Obviously if there are no boats we will go back to the mainland, however ideally we would like to use as many boats to do the route as possible!

Also, does anyone know if we could go from Koh Lanta to Langkawi direct, possibly having to miss out Koh Lipe?

Thanks for any help!

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

What you have heard is correct.

In July there is only one daily speedboat transfer to Lipe from Pakbara pier in Satun province. Dep 11.30 and arr Lipe 13.00.

There is no connection from other places due to heavy sea in low season.

From Koh Lanta you have to go by car 5 hours to the pier.

If you like to go to Langkawi from Lanta you have to go by car to Tammalang pier in Satun to catch the daily ferry to Kuah Town on Langkawi. This trip by car will take about 6 hours.

langkawi-ferry.com/Home/Schedule.aspx#satun

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

Thanks for your help.

I think we would still like to try and get to Koh Lipe if possible as it sounds too nice to miss out. Is it possible to arrange to get from Koh Lanta to the pier in time if the ferry from Pak Bara leaves at 11.30am daily? Or would you recommend staying nearby the night before?

It also seems that the ferry to Langkawi leaves early so I'm not sure how we would get from Koh Lanta to there at that time of the morning either!

Thanks for your assistance.

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

If you leave Lanta very early in the morning it´s possible to get to Pakbara pier in time. Otherwise there is a guesthouse at the pier where you can stay.

To catch the ferry to Langkawi from Tammalang pier is no problem. You take the speedboat 09:00 in the morning to Pakbara, then a taxi 68 km to Tammalang. The last ferry to Langkawi leaves 17:00......

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

Maybe I shall make it clear what I mean in my last answer...

If you like to go to Langkawi from Lanta without visiting Lipe you have plenty of time since the last ferry departs Tammalang pier in Satun 17:00 and the trip by car from Lanta take 6 hours.

This is if you go from Lipe to Langkawi:

"To catch the ferry to Langkawi from Tammalang pier is no problem. You take the speedboat 09:00 in the morning to Pakbara, then a taxi 68 km to Tammalang. The last ferry to Langkawi leaves 17:00......"

I hope this clarifies my answer above :-)

Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

Six of us are planning to travel first week July 2011 to Malaysia and see a bit of South Thailand. What is the best way to get to Koh Lipe:

1) if we hire a car and drive from Penang?

2) if we fly from Penang or Kuala Lumpur?

3) if we travel by coach from Penang?

Any recommendations for accomodation or guide tour or package tour during July?

Why is July a low season - monsoon?

Thanks

Lidkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

Lockie88,

The best an easiest way is to go by AirAsia from Kuala Lumpur (LCCT Terminal at KLIA). http://www.airasia.com/my/en/home.html

You have a direct flight from KL to Hat Yai but there is only 1 flight a day with arrival Hat Yai 12.00. The daily speedboat transfer from Pakbara pier to Lipe departs 11.30 which means that you have to stay overnight in Hat Yai or Pakbara. From Hat Yai the ride by minibus (6 persons) take 2 hours so maybe it´s more suitable to stay in Pakbara.

Reg booking for accommondation you can have a look on this site which is updated right now and will be opened for booking June 1st. You´ll find travelshops along Walking Street which can offer snorkelingtours for you. http://kohlipethailand.com/accommodation.php

Lipe is not affected very much by the monsoon but the best and most secure weather and high season is from November to the end of May. In Sep and the beginning of Oct there is normally most rain.

Today the weather is great as usual :-))

7. Re: Travelling to Koh Lipe by boat in Low Season - July 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 18:18