We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

I have flights to Barcelona, I will be hiring a car, what is the journey like from the airport to Ainsa? How long will it take me? I am also looking to do hiking in the area, any suggestions on where I should go? I am seeking self catering accommodation, any recommendations?

I know I have asked a lot but any help would be greatly appreciated...

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Ainsa
Ainsa
Province of Huesca, Spain
Iberia
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

Ainsa is less than 300 km from Barcelona and it will take 3 hours or more to drive there.

Ainsa is wonderful location if you want to visit different parks and valleys in Huesca. We liked the Faja routes in the Valley of Ordesa and the routes to the lakes (Ibon) in the valleys of Chistau and Benasque.

You will find the route descriptions in English, maps, GPS waypoints and driving instructions from here: http://www.topwalks.net/en/aragon.htm

There is a lot to choose from. Huesca has two parks, National Park of Ordesa and Monte Perdido and Nature Park of Posets-Maladeta. I recommend you to drive the route Ainsa - Escalona - Cañón de Añisclo - Fanlo - Sarvisé - Torla at least once. It is pretty impressive. See the road map: www.topwalks.net/en/ordesa_monte_perdido.htm

In the Valley of Benasque, "Portillon de Benás" route takes you to the French border. A route called "Puerto de la Pez" in the Valley of Chistau is similar. I liked them both.

Mentioned in this post
Ainsa
Ainsa
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Huesca
Province of Huesca
Aragon, Spain
Benasque
Benasque
Torla
Torla
Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

Many thanks for your suggestions. The walking in the area sounds fab. It is a shame I only have a week!!!! The only thing that is putting me off is the drive to Ainsa. I wondered if you could suggest somewhere closer to the airport, say a 2 to 3 hour drive, a village to use as a base but then drive to the areas you have mentioned. It is the time of my return flight that is causing the problem....with the drive as well.... it means a very early start which is what I want to avoid.

You have been a great help already....Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Ainsa
Ainsa
Iberia
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

Barbastro is 220 km / 2 h 30 min from Barcelona. But then you must drive quite a lot each walking day to reach the routes.

What about staying in Ainsa doing the walks and spending the last night close to Barcelona...?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Ainsa
Ainsa
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

i full agree with the answer above. if you stay in barbastro or graus or somewhere else you will then to drive a lot every day for hikes and activities (and do not save much driving for your departure day)

what about spending the last night in montserrat? it's a hiker's paradise too and much nicer after the datrippers go back home

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

Hi, Thank you for your suggestion, it is a great idea as I do not want to feel that I am spending all the holiday driving when I want to be out hiking!!! I will check out Ainsa for accommodation.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Ainsa
Ainsa
6. Re: Travel to and hiking in and around Ainsa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2010, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Ainsa