We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

We will be traveling to Playa San Miguel CR in April. We want to stay at Flying Scorpion. How difficult is it to tolerate the weather with only a fan, and not A/C in San Miguel in April?

13 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

Since you are from Fort Myers, you know what it's like at the beach. Hot and humid. The difference is - in Costa Rica, you have about 12 hours of daylight and about 12 hours of sun year round so many places cool off nicely at night.

Whether you need AC or fan is really up to you. I used to live in Florida but don't use AC here, normally only places with fans. But at the beach, I will often rent a place with AC since it can be very humid. Really depends on your tolerance for humidity.

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

If you like camping in the heat of the summer you should be fine with a fan. If there is no breeze it can be sweltering however. I live in the area year round and have AC in my bedroom because sometimes you really need to cool off. If you are asking, you would probably prefer it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

Agree with prior post...in my case I love A-C ...but at our beaches early morning...2 or 3am...it is nice and cold...if you are not planning to spend to much time inside your room...it will be OK with only a FAN!

roadadivsor

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

How far south of Samara is San Miguel? Is the town on the beach? Is there much of a town at all?

Tell me about the place!

Thanks!

Edited: 20 October 2011, 11:00
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

oops, meant to start a new post.

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

Hi! I am an ex-pat from the NYC area now living in San Miguel. It is a very quiet, undeveloped beach town about one hour south of Samara. This all depends on the time of year however. During the dry season it is an easy drive but during the rainy season, like now, it can be impassable and you need to take an alternate route. The town of Playa San Miguel is very safe. It is a perfect place for people who want to avoid the crowds. There are four hotels in the town. Two are right on the beach and two others that cost a bit more are set back a bit. There are also some nice property rentals in the area too. Beach is gorgeous and safe to swim with caution of course, at times it can be empty too so you can walk a few miles and not pass a soul. Great thing about this town: come during the dry season and you can get to Mal Pais and Samara for day trips, adventures and shopping, and then head back to paradise!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

Thank you!

What is the town itself like? Is it on the beach? Are there locals around? Is there a school in town? Do you know where I can find pictures of the area?

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

The town itself is small with no developed commercial tourism to speak of. And yes, it is right on the beach. One road, no stop signs. A few dozen families are on the beach year round and there families from Costa Rica and abroad with second homes who visit during the high season. Two hotels with bar/restaurants set a bit off the beach and a cantina style restaurant right on the beach; also a small school and church in the adjacent town of Jabilla. The hotels in the area have pictures on their websites. Two sites with good info:

http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/coyote/#

moon.com/destinations/costa-rica/nicoya-peni…

And this site has great pictures as well! This is a great town if you are looking to get away from it all and kick back for a few days. Very safe, everyone is incredibly friendly and helpful. Good access to more developed towns. Bars can be a good time at night but not for those looking for a club like scene at all! Fantastic for families and small groups!

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

Page of Pictures:

ttp://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+playa+san+miguel+costa+rica&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=P1ygTtS7C4yEtgfuxJ2dBQ&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1362&bih=643

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?

ataylor - if you type

playa san miguel, costa rica

into Google Earth, you will get an idea what the town looks like. For me, it's a bit remote, although I love the beaches in the area - particularly Playa Coyote.

That said, I remember it from a time when there was barely one "hotel" around, and that's the image that somehow imprinted on my brain. I have not been in at least three years and don't know how much it has changed.

I actually looked into purchasing a home there many years ago, but we decided that we would simply go crazy if we lived there year-round. Then again, enez sounds quite sane to me - so perhaps it's no longer as isolated as I remember it.

Reply to: Do I need A/C in San Miguel in April?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa San Miguel