We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

Hi,

we are 3 adults.

We will stay in Tokyo for 5 days in mid September with both Landing and Departing from Narita(Internationally).

The NEX seems quite pricey.

Is there some other train services that will get me to shinjuku station in a decent time (up to 90 min) ? or is there some stored value card or something like a 5 ticket plan with NEX ?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,056 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

Please use www.hyperdia.com for train schedule and fares.

1. 100 minutes 1230 yen one way: Keisei Mainline Limited Express - Nippori changing to Yamanote line to Shinjuku.

2. 4000 return: https:/…nex_round.html

Greater London...
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

We took the Keisei Limited express took long time but loved to see the scenery.

Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

There are cheaper alternatives.

Tokyo Shuttle

…j-server.com/LUCKEISEIB/…

The Access Narita

http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/

Edited: 13 May 2016, 06:24
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,611 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

Other than the more expensive limobuses (not any cheaper than NEX), no buses serve Shinjuku directly from NRT. The bus to rail transfer is going to confuse visitors who aren't familiar with Tokyo station area. If you want to save money, opt for the Keisei Limited Express to Nippori and change to JR Yamanote Line to Shinjuku that bibimbob suggested.

I would take the discounted NEX offer (link also provided bibimbob already) in a heartbeat over Keisei Limited Express + JR. I once took the slow Keisei train because I had just missed a NEX train, and it seemed to last forever. The entire experience was uncomfortable.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,056 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

It's only 15-20 minutes longer with Keisei Mainline + Yamanote. It seems longer because of the commuter train setting, and the train transfer at Nippori. It's more tolerable going to the airport, I suppose.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,021 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

When you think of overall performance, the NEX wins, IMO. It's convenient, direct, comfortable and gives you a good discount when you buy the Round Trip Ticket.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

I stayed at the sunroute plaza Shinjuku in November 2015 and we opted to take the limousine bus from the hotel to the airport just because it was right there. Saved us walking through Saturday crowd at the JR Shinjuku station. They made a few other stops along the way to Narita but cost wise it is definitely more expensive than the train due to tolls etc. Just more convenient because we lived there. If you are living close to the bus route that might be an option for convenience sake?

https:/…17

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,611 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

Limobus sometimes get stuck in unpredictable traffic so some might prefer the NEX train. It just depends on whether you are a good map reader who can follow simple directions from the train station, whether you have a lot of luggage or mobility issues, and whether you just prefer to get to the door of the hotel with no risk. Limobuses only stop at selected hotels though, sometimes with limited schedules.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

im also interested in this route...

NEX Is 4000 yen one way i believe..

Keisei express bus is 900 yen per person, but yes, need to transfer to subway i believe...

i will be taking this trip in late june

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best cost effective way of Shinjuku <-> Narita

There is nothing difficult and no long walk involved in changing from JR to Keisei Raiwaly or vice versa at Nippori. Switiching trains there is as easy as switching to McNuggets after finishing eating Big Mac at McDonalds.

One issue though- the JR Yamanote Line is heavily crowded in weekday morning peak hours at around 07:00-09:30. You would not want to take suitcases with you at those hours.

Edited: 13 May 2016, 12:35