We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for bagels

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
267 reviews
163 helpful votes
Best place for bagels
Save

Will be in L'Anse-Saint-Jean in March. Are there any good places to buy bagels? Have had ones from St. Viateur and looking for something similar or close.

I would also like to know if most places will be open in mid-March as I know it is a low tourist season.

8 replies to this topic
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
32 reviews
27 helpful votes
1. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

I don't think you'll find bagels like the ones from St. Viateur in l'Anse-St-Jean. I mean, it's a really small village and there aren't that many bagel places outside of Montreal anyway. There's a really good bakery though called Nuances de grains (http://www.nuancesdegrains.com/).

As far as what's going to be open or not, well, you should expect to find everything you need (there's a really decent grocery store), but a lot of places will be closed for the season.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
69 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

When you pass by Montreal on your way to Anse St-Jean, pick up the bagels...either at the St-Viateur bakery directly..

There is a bakery near A40 (340 Boulevard Marcel-Laurin, Saint-Laurent, QC H4M 2L4) or you can go to the original location... on St-Viateur (open 24 hours) 263 Rue Saint Viateur O, Montréal, QC H2V 1Y1

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
267 reviews
163 helpful votes
3. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

I'm being told on another site where I asked a different question to try and avoid Montreal. Pont Champlain under construction. Would I have to go anywhere near that to stop at 340 Boulevard Marcel-Laurin? I forgot about the fact that the 9 1/2 hr trip from home to L'Anse Saint-Jean could easily be more like 10 1/2 if the weather is bad. Mid March is pretty unpredictable. So I don't want to stray too far off the highway.

I hoped there would be a bagel place near our destination.

Here's another question. How about a great place to have a smoked meat sandwich? Found Joe Smoked Meat in Chicoutimi but is there somewhere closer?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
69 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

First, I go on Champlain bridge everyday and it's not a problem. New bridge construction is next to it... You just need to check for partial closure on week end for repair.. sometimes... not always,... rarely in winter.

Second, from Ontario A20, after Coteau du Lac, take A30 West to A40 East (via Vaudreuil-Dorion) so you don't need to bother with the above mentioned bridge.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
267 reviews
163 helpful votes
5. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

Thank you. I was thinking that the construction would likely stop over the winter but the route you describe sounds good.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
69 reviews
35 helpful votes
6. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

Construction will not stop in the winter... nothing would get done here if we did! lol

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
31,290 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

hi

L'Anse-Saint-Jean is a really small village - it took about 3-4 minutes to drive through on the way from Chicoutimi to Saint Simeon as the village is tucked away in the Bay (Anse translates to Bay)

The Parc National du Fjord du Saguenay closes all the interpretative centres Oct 10 and the cruise ship and tour boats that come up the river to La Baie are not running.

I looked up one of the restaurant in the village - they are closed after Oct 10.

the Bakery does artisinal breads has limited hours http://www.nuancesdegrains.com/pains-1

This is a review of Patisserie Chez Louise https://fr.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g1110600-d4354527-Reviews-Patisserie_louise-L_Anse_Saint_Jean_Saguenay_Lac_Saint_Jean_Region_Quebec.html

you can use google maps to find all the services by inserting restaurants etc... https://goo.gl/maps/7PRW1mjjCcK2

The drive to Chicoutimi would be a very long drive to get a sandwich and, I would not want to drive that road at night or in the winter at night.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
8. Re: Best place for bagels
Save

Montreal bagels originate from a recipe brought by Easter European Jews. Buying bagels in that small town won't make them anymore authentic than the ones you can buy in Toronto. Some people (even locals) think this and smoked meat are Québec food; in a way I guess they are but we have to thank Eastern European Jews for it. Poutine, on the other hand, is a Quebec creation and you can now find it in everywhere in the world. I wish Québec was known for something else than poutine.

Reply to: Best place for bagels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about L'Anse-Saint-Jean
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.