We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow place suitable for kids

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Snow place suitable for kids

Hi, I'll be bringing the kids to experience snow this Dec 24th in Yuzawa. We wont be skiing or snow boarding, we just want to make snowman and perhaps sledding.

I have few noob questions:

1. Which ski resort that is more suitable for this purpose?

2. Coming from tropical country, I'm worried that we can't stand the cold. Is there a place that we can play snow for awhile and go into the building to warm ourselves?

3. Will there be a place to rent those winter clothing and winter boots in the echigoyuzawa station for children and adult size? I'm worried if my shoes are not those waterproof type or too slippery to walk on snow. E.g. Walking from train station to hotel.

4. If I take the gondola up, is there a way to come down without skiing down?

5. What are other things that I need to be aware of or prepare in advance?

Thanks much in advance.

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Snow place suitable for kids

Hi tham_wy,

Thanks for replying. Do you mean stay 1 night in Tokyo?

How do I reserve the seat? Online or at the ticket counter? If ticket counter, can it be done in Shinjuku? Or has to be Tokyo station?

24th is actually Sunday and it's not public holiday on 25th in Japan, so I thought it won't be too bad. Though school holiday start from 21st Dec.

Any idea whether it will be less crowded on 25-26?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snow place suitable for kids

You can make seat reservations at any JR station after you arrive in Japan.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snow place suitable for kids

You need not stay overnight in Tokyo just because you have to connect to Echigo-Yuzawa via Tokyo, which takes about 80min by Joetsu Shinkansen.

It would not be crowded yet on those dates. As long as you reserve those tickets in advance when you're in Japan, you should be fine as mentioned. Tickets can be reserved in the ticket office of any JR station during office hours.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

use hyperdia.com to check train schedules.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Snow place suitable for kids

Many thanks Dave148 and DLi_hk :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snow place suitable for kids

Hi,

Are the non-skiing snow areas at Gala and other resorts meant for small kids only? What about teenagers?

I'm hoping to include snow in my trip planning...but not sure if we could include skiing in our budget. Hope to at least include playing with snow.

Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,103 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Snow place suitable for kids

@PerthBlueSky,

check out Iwapparra and Ishiuchi Maruyama. These ski resorts are served by ski bus from Echigo-Yuzawa station in less than 20min so no need to pay for gondola fee as in Gala Yuzawa.

or consult with TIC in the station as mentioned earlier in my posts.

Edited: 24 July 2017, 21:28
Reply to: Snow place suitable for kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yuzawa-machi