We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Ana Safety

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Ana Safety

Is Santa Ana a safe place for two women? I

7 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Ana Safety

For two women doing what? Visiting, living there, going to bars, walking around.... give us a clue.

Pretty much anywhere in Costa Rica is safe for two women (or anyone) as long as they use good common sense.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,659 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Ana Safety

I just come from Santa Ana for lunch...and honestly I feel really safe with my family!

roaadadvisor

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Ana Safety

Thank you. Also, how much spanish should we know?

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Ana Safety

Many people in Costa Rica speak English, and they will do their best to communicate with you in English. Although, if you ask me, it shows much respect from visitors when they try to communicate in Spanish, shows that you care not only to be here but to learn and practice the language of the locals. I, personally, really appreciate it when people try to speak to me in Spanish, it shows you care. So, if you the more spanish you speak the better.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Ana Safety

If you can learn just 20-30 Spanish words, it will help. Otherwise, bring a Latin American Phrase Book -- I have always used the Berlitz one. Then if you get really stuck, you can just point to the phrase you need.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Ana Safety

Always be careful. In downtown San Jose be on the alert for pickpockets. At night do not walk alone. Only go in a taxi to your destination.

Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Ana Safety

I stayed in Santa Ana with my daughter a few years back. I was nervous, we rode the bus into San Jose. Not worth seeing first of all, it was nothing but a huge flea market, then some man constantly followed us talking. People were friendly and actually two young men gave their seats up for us on the bus that is. But at night stayed in. I felt like I was always watching out.

Edited: 06 October 2016, 01:08
Reply to: Santa Ana Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ana