We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights Lastovo - Trip report June 2017

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
425 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights Lastovo - Trip report June 2017

On the ferry to Vela Luka right now, thought I'd write a short report about our 3 night stay on Lastovo Island since not a whole lot is written about it.

Last Sunday we took the 10:15am slow ferry from Split. We're foot passengers, but didn't want to wait until 3PM for the catamaran. It was a long journey with a 30 minutes layover and changing ships in Vela Luka. The small ferry to Lastovo is old and in the inside sitting area it's freezing cold thanks to the aircon + no views on anything. Best to sit on the upper floor with shade and spectacular views on the sea and all the islands.

When we arrived at the Ubli port, Bruna our host picked us up. We stayed at Bruna apartments in Pasadur (like Jude C who wrote a report in 2014 I think). Very clean and spacious apartment with a balcony.

At arrival, we walked around a bit and had a coffee at Kokolo bar, a very nice bar with a terrace with shade and nice views on the bay and the sea. Coffee is 8kn, wine is very cheap but not the best. We chose to have diner at Konoba Pece in Ubli - a 30 minute walk each way. You are rewarded with a gorgeous sunset along the way and also at the terrace of the restaurant. We had a schnitzel and fresh fish with sides and a soft drink. Total bill was 256kn which we did not find expensive and it was the best cooked meal we had on the island.

The first morning we were served a delicious breakfast with apfel strudel, eggs, ham, cheese, fresh bread, homemade jams, etc. Very good but way too much for us. Each morning Bruna prepared something different. The other mornings breakfast had other things like pancakes, yoghurt, other sweets and wieners for example. After breakfast we took the bus to Lastovo town (the bus schedule is on the official Lastovo website and it is real!). We made an appointment with Saric winery for a tasting of their wines accompanied with bread and local delicacies like anjovis and sardines. That certainly was one of the highlights of our trip and highly recommended. The wines are very good, we particularly liked the reds and bought a bottle of Plavec Mali for our next day that we'd spend relaxing on a beach. Lastovo is nice for walking etc. but it was very warm so instead of hiking back to Pasadur (which was our original plan) we took the bus back.

That evening Bruna offered to take us to the highest point of the island at sunset. For free! Wow so so nice of her. Another highlight of our trip. She also stopped at a supermarket and offered to buy fresh bread for us the next morning for our beach day. We had a 4 course dinner at the apartment that evening, cooked by Bruna's mom. This was only 25€ per person including homemade wine (very good, light white wine) which was definitely worth every penny.

So the next day we walked to Krucica beach - it looks close on the map but it was actually quite a walk. Almost an hour in total with a good climb towards the end. There are ticks, BE WARNED. I saw and killed 6 of them - one of which was actually on my body - under my foot where I did not actually check and double check at first. The bay was kind of hidden and there are a couple of houses. One family was at their house and a bit later another couple showed up to for swimming and sunbathing. As we do not like to be in the sun too much, we simply had a relaxing day in the shade with picknick and wine. Later we walked back and took another path to a more private beach (rocks) in the shade and tried to go for a swim. The water was COLD though! Once you are in it, it's fine, but damn! That evening we had dinner at the nearby hotel Solitudo. Price level was significantly higher than the Konoba Pece's, and the food was not better. It was good though, I had seafood risotto which was very tasty and my hb had grilled turkey which was juicy and tasty but no creativity was added. We paid 309kn for this including sides and half liter of red grape juice (cannot really call it red wine as it was cold and did not taste like wine).

We actually thought the price level on the island was fine and not higher than in say Split or other coastal towns we have been to.

The island is beautiful, very peaceful and quiet. The only tourists we saw were staying at the hotel and there weren't many. Public transport and ferry connections are more than fine. You are forced to relax here - there is not too much to keep you entertained, which is more than fine if you go for a relaxing time. The island is also very suitable for hiking and biking, paths are marked and sign posted. We usually hike more than we did now, but it was so nice to unwind and relax. Plus it was quite warm and the island is hilly. We were also extremely satisfied with our choice of apartment - 5 stars.

2 replies to this topic
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
59,575 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights Lastovo - Trip report June 2017

Thanks for that report...always good to get info on Lastovo...seems like my kind of place.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights Lastovo - Trip report June 2017

Thank you for describing your stay in so much detail. My husband and I are planning to go to Lastovo in September so this is super helpful!

Reply to: 3 nights Lastovo - Trip report June 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lastovo Island