We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bophut Beach

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Bophut Beach

What is the nasty sludge about a meter into the water everywhere off the beach? Can only think it’s sewage related...a little bit disgusting

8 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
309 reviews
1. Re: Bophut Beach

Cannot offer a scientific reply but the sea round Samui is mostly very shallow. This means that the sea bottom is moved a lot which (I'm guessing) makes for the sludgy feel. Generally it is an issue for clarity - hence not great snorkelling. But on the bright side it means the water is like a warm bath - if you like that.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,774 posts
383 reviews
2. Re: Bophut Beach

Mud, oil, sun cream ? Sewage will smell

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Bophut Beach

Without actually seeing this, I suspect it is probably seaweed, that has just washed up, it seems to be an annual thing here about this time of year... ,

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Bophut Beach

You mean on the sea bottom? Yeah, it's a kind of seaweed or algae. It tends to sit there when the tide is low and there's not much movement in the water, which is around this time of the year.

Doesn't feel very nice underfoot, but is completely harmless.

Moreno Valley
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Bophut Beach

looked like seaweed when I was there

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
553 posts
1 review
6. Re: Bophut Beach

Normally there is not much seaweed there. The Bophut bay is a very shallow and a lot of sediments / sand is deposited which causes a fluffy feeling when walking in the water. Same can be found on the West side at Lipa Noi for example. So no pollution, just mother nature.

Edited: 02 July 2018, 17:38
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Bophut Beach

Bhoput beach has been like this as long as I can remember. I think its from the speedbaots and boats. Its horrid, reason why I stopped going to Bophut beach a long time ago.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
553 posts
1 review
8. Re: Bophut Beach

Bophut Beach is a sheltered bay and therefore a number of boats may be anchoring 100m or so in front of the beach. But there are no piers and boats are not going back and forth to pick up passengers.

Reply to: Bophut Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bophut