We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Hi, I'm trying to plan a relaxed, low key, quiet holiday for 7 days - some sun, reading, food options in both a resort and in walking distance for dinners, not too much hassle / noise / size of crowds / not too many tourists - towards the end of April. Thinking 4* hotel - seems to be plenty to choose from. BUT, is Bophut beach super busy, super crowded and crawling with tourists slugging beer in singlets? I'd appreciate some advice before I press "book". We aren't the major shopping / tailors / trinkets buyers - love a massage, but prefer the quiet civilised side of life. Thoughts on somewhere like Bandara Resort & Spa - is this jampacked in tourist-ville?

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Bophut is very relaxed - slightly Bohemian and quite upmarket. We never felt that it was horribly touristy. However, we stayed at Baan Bophut, which is at the opposite end to the expensive hotels and main beach, so it was very quiet and peaceful. We would definately go back, but the beach itself, isn't the best if you want to swim in the sea (although people do).

Mags

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Agree with Mags, Bophut is lovely. We went back there in March (the first time we'd been in years) and it was nice and laid back and upmarket. Lots of restaurants and bars.

I saw your other post about Ao Nang and given the choice I would choose Bophut every time.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,718 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

is Bophut beach super busy, super crowded and crawling with tourists slugging beer in singlets?

A] No!!!

Bophut has tried to retained a village feel which it has done in places. Although modernity has had an impact, with a 'in keeping' mall and more restaurant, bars and shops but these are more low key than in your face. There is a lovely european feel beach front walkway, wehre you do find a bit crowded on a Friday night, and yes it is crawling with tourists, but they are not all slugging beer in singlets [as all tourist don't all do that] but enjoying the Friday night market. The rest of the time the place has tried to have a gucci feel. Beach is gritty and not my favourite, and I find the bottom on the sea a bit slimy and muddy.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Thanks great advice ☺

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Thanks really appreciated. We have three locations to choose from. Still a bit scared from a holiday to patong we never want to repeat!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Thanks really appreciated

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Bophut is my favourite part of the island, it is a nice laid back feel to it but still loads of restaurants and some nice shops and massage places around when you want. I find it just a nice balance, not too quiet, not too busy. The beach isn't the nicest on the island but hey, not everything can be perfect.

I have stayed at Bandara twice before and am booked in for a 3rd stay in June, it is a great resort for the price, the staff are so friendly, and the rooms have a bit of a Thai feel to them which i much prefer over very modern rooms. The location is great, about a 10 minute leisurely walk to the main area of Fishermans village. The onsite restaurant is nice enough for the days where you really couldn't be bothered going anywhere. Breakfast is great. Pools are really nice, and there are plenty of sun loungers by the beach with umbrellas so great to sit and read.

If staying at Bandara, I can highly recommend staying in the pool villas if your budget can stretch to it as they are nice and private and awesome for relaxing. The villas with the plunge pool are better than the more expensive larger pool villas I think as the outside area is bigger and really a plunge pool is all you need to cool down. It is so nice when coming back from dinner in the evening to have a little dip in your own pool to cool off.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Thanks - very helpful - really appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Hi Jiffy, always good to get Melbournians on here. The bogans tend to congregate in Chaweng and to a lesser extent Lamai. These places are still worth checking out for a night, Chaweng in particular is fun but can completely understand why you wouldn't want to stay there.

Bophut is nice, I don't fully understand all the love for it on here, but as Mitch mentioned earlier the beach has coarse sand and has a slimy feel to it. The Friday night market is a highlight of any Samui visit but I for one don't like staying there. Check out Sala Samui, Royal Muang or even Imperial Boathouse in Choeng Mon. This is an area that is very quiet with plenty of restaurants, bars and non dodgy massage shops a very short walk from your resort. The beach is wonderful in comparison to many on the island and particularly Bophut. Enjoy your holiday, Samui will be more peaceful than your Patong experience.

Edited: 11 April 2016, 10:55
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Check out THE HAVEN Khao Lak

Definitely the place to go for your kind of holiday, my partner and I just got back and can't fault the resort, it's perfect!