We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Hi, I'm trying to plan a relaxed, low key, quiet holiday for 7 days - some sun, reading, food options in both a resort and in walking distance for dinners, not too much hassle / noise / size of crowds / not too many tourists - towards the end of April. Thinking 4* hotel - seems to be plenty to choose from. BUT, is Bophut beach super busy, super crowded and crawling with tourists slugging beer in singlets? I'd appreciate some advice before I press "book". We aren't the major shopping / tailors / trinkets buyers - love a massage, but prefer the quiet civilised side of life. Thoughts on somewhere like Bandara Resort & Spa - is this jampacked in tourist-ville?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

I'm sure it's lovely Tahnee but it's in Khao Lak, not Samui where the OP is going.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,007 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

I agree Khao Lak sounds like the perfect place for the OP and as the OP is still in planning stages it could be an option. Another option could be Choeng Mon, the beach is better there than Bophut, which I find a bit gritty under foot. Also, Bophut get's very very busy on Friday nights for the Walking Street Market, but if your hotel is away from the main drag then it won't be an issue.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
11 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Hi. I am currently staying at Bandara with my teenage daughter and we were looking for exactly what you have described. The hotel is quiet and peaceful and really good value for money. We booked a 7 night stay on Agoda which had a big discount. The food at the restaurant is very good, the staff very helpful. Pools are lovely with lots of sun loungers and umbrellas. The sand isn't as fine as I had imagined but the sea is very calm and great for swimming and floating. The Fishermans Village is a ten minute walk away so convenient but far enough away not to be intrusive. This afternoon we went to Chaweng. It's not as bad as Patong but it's working it's way towards it, I am so glad we didn't chose to stay in that area, it's great for people who want to be in the middle of the action but definitely not quiet with jets regularly coming into land overhead as well as loudspeakers from boxing and massage advertising vehicles.

We are in a deluxe room which is really big. We both have a double bed and there's still lots of space. Fruit platter when we arrived and other thoughtful touches. The only issues we have had has been a problem with the toilet blocking but the staff have attended to that immediately. Large patio with table and chairs and a large bed/lounger. Highly recommended, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Level Contributor
26 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

We visited Bo Phut for 8 days in August, which is one of the peak periods, and found it to be very nice. It was still very relaxed and didn't feel too busy with plenty of room on the beaches. Fisherman's village was also fairly quiet, probably in part to it being quite big, so there are plenty of places for everyone to eat. The only evening we noticed it getting very busy was on the Friday when they hold the night market.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Great advice - perfect!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,007 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

I am surprised to hear that Bophut is quiet in August, it's not that big a place, especially around the main dining area and August is peak season - when we've been in July (which is not year peak season), it has been very busy and August has a lot of Europeans on holiday due to school holidays.

Edited: 18 April 2016, 15:43
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

I was in Bophut late July last year as well and also found it pretty quiet, except the walking street which was chockers, which shows the people were there... I also found Chaweng and Lamai just as busy as the year before. I did notice since my stay the year before, the prices at the restaurants in fisherman's village had gone up noticeably, so I wonder if some people are tending to look elsewhere for better value for meals outside of the village. There are certainly some good options out on the ring road or even taking a songthaew to Mae Nam you can find a good cheap meal and still have more change including the ride than eating in fisherman's village.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

Also @home27, toilets blocking is a very common problem in Thailand hotels, as westerners tend to use too much toilet paper and the toilets can't handle it. Try going thai style and putting the used tissue into the small bin provided. And that small hose that is in the toilet cubicle? That's a "bum gun" to wash .. yourself ... off afterwards. It's a bit weird at first but trust me, after getting the hang of it they are really good.

19. Re: Looking for a relaxed, low key holiday location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2017, 14:17