We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

2 posts
Save Topic
Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

Hello, my husband and I are planning a trip to Thailand/Cambodia. We are torn between the Pattaya area and the Ko Samui area. We will spend 3-5 days in that particular beach town so we are willing to take day trips to surrounding areas to get different experiences. We are in our late 20s and looking to relax but also for some authentic adventures. Is the weather better in one area than the other? Suggestions? Appreciate any input. Thank you!

1. Re: Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 April 2016, 00:35
Canberra
Level Contributor
591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

There will be plenty of "adventures" in Pattaya!

Seriously, they are two quite different places, Pattaya itself is a quite big city now (not a "beach town") and nothing like Samui island. There are plenty of attractions around Pattaya, not sure what you mean by "authentic adventures", but the city area itself has little interest to me (last visit a couple of years ago).

The marine park and islands nearby to Samui are more likely interesting adventures and day trips than those near Pattaya.

The weather should be Ok in both places in August, Samui probably a bit more expensive to get to (certainly by air as Bangkok Airways have the monopoly), but there is much more choice in location and style of accommodation on Samui, no high-rise hotels, better beaches etc.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,808 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

Don't know why my post was removed but Samui is an island not a beach town. There are lots of beaches.

The island of Samui and the resort town of Pattaya are very, very different. Samui has more authentic adventures.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

jaynecastle upon tyne put my thoughts exactly.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

The beach in Pattaya is not great if you like swimming because it is not very clean due to Pattaya being a big city nowadays. Pattaya is more of a nightlife and bars place.Some of the bars are go-go bars with pole dancing girls etc so maybe not ideal for a couple.Samui is an island with several popular beaches full of hotels and resorts and also cheaper bungalows if you don't like resorts. Pattaya is popular with people who just want somewhere close to Bangkok ( about 2 hours by bus, minivan or taxi).Samui is more popular with families and has much nicer beaches but you either need to fly from Bangkok or spend around 24 hours going by overnight coach and ferry. Most people on short holidays fly, because flights are not expensive if booked in advance.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

Mitches post was deleted, but mine apparently completely removed

Obviously somebody didn't agree that Ko Samui was a lovely island with good beaches, or that Pattaya was big dirty city & a major world sex-destination. All comments are facts rather than opinion

7. Re: Pattaya vs Ko Samui- August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2017, 12:16