We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel From Sihanoukville?

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel From Sihanoukville?

Any suggestions for travelling from Sihanoukville? What is the best route to travel to access the island?

Mentioned in this post
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
9 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

Sihanoukville is in Cambodia, why not ask the Cambodian forum?

Mentioned in this post
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
205 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

Easy to take a bus to the border and then come to Phu Quoc by Boat. They can arrange in shnville at most tour/travel shops.

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Level Contributor
742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

Very easy, take the van about 10 USD to Ha Tien. At the drop off the sales persons will jump you and also try to sell tuktuk transfers on the island.

You can also book directly to the Island when in SHV. It is a very well organized business.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

I intend to do this from hcmc to phu qhoc then to s/ville. Do i need a visa and where can i get from. Thanks

Level Contributor
480 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

Hi

Cathy:-

The best route is to take a bus to Ha Tien and then buy your Superdong tickets. Do not get a combined ticket as it has been known for people to miss the boat due to delays both on the road and at the border. I would recommend Oasis Bar for any help you need in getting ferry tickets. Ferry tickets are 230,000VND and they are stamped that so you should not pay any extra.

Sam:-

VISA for where? Phu Quoc = NO. Cambodia = YES. Read the thread:-

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g63552…

for details about bus to S/ville. Again, Oasis Bar will be happy to help. The VISA for Cambodia IS $35USD and you get it at the border. You will need an extra $2USD if you do not have a passport photo plus $1USD if the doctor is there. Read this thread for details about crossing the border:-

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g63552…

Disardo

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Oasis Bar
Oasis Bar
243 Reviews
Ha Tien, Vietnam
Australia
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

Hi All,

Im wondering if anyone knows if there is a boat direct from Sihanoukville to Phu Quoc.

We dont mind added cost because we dont want to give up a full day for travelling via Ha Tien...

I did the van between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh a few years back and that was long and scary enough for me haha

Mentioned in this post
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

There are no ferries from Cambodia to Phu Quoc. There are plans for one from Kampot when the port is developed... but they've been saying that for years. You must travel to Ha Thien.

Travel agencies in Sihanoukville, Kampot and Kep will sell you a combination ticket for minivan/ferry. Be prepared for a $1 charge/bribe/tip at the boarder for Vietnam Immigration to accept your health declaration form. You will have to change vans after you go through the boarder. This van ride from the boarder to the port is only about 10 min., but may be absolutely 'packed' - standing room only. Be prepared to be put on the slow (cheaper... with no refund of the difference) car ferry if the Superdong is full. It happened to me and another couple - we ended up getting to PQ at 5:00 PM instead of 2:30... at different port (a little south of the Superdong port)... were it's difficult to get a taxi. The car ferry is not all bad though - it has a nice lounge where you can get food and drinks.

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kampot
Kampot
Kampot Province, Cambodia
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Kep
Kep
Kep Province, Cambodia
Australia
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

Thanks very much for the response, thats a shame that no speed boat or ferry services run as yet. But I guess the demand is not yet high enough.

Level Contributor
480 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel From Sihanoukville?

Hi

DO NOT GET A COMBO TICKET!!!!!

If you do, and you are held up at the border then you could miss your booked boat. If you happen to miss the last Suerdong (Fast ferry) then you will be put on the slower car ferry. Note that the Superdong fee is 230,000VND whilst the car ferry is 180,000VND.

The border is experiencing delays during peak times and it can take up to 2 hours to clear both sides of the border.

Regards

Disardo

Reply to: Travel From Sihanoukville?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Duong Dong
Recent Conversations