We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

usa
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a "babymoon" in Oahu in April and these two towns have been referred to us since we are looking for a laid-back downtown strip and also close, beautiful beaches. From what I can tell Ko Olina is busier and more resorty and Haleiwa is relaxed, but not as nice of beaches/ tourism infrastructure.

We'd like a few days of just beach lounging/ snorkeling off the beach close by and then a few days of hiking, driving the island, going to new restaurants.

Can anyone compare these two places firsthand and recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
6 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

"downtown strip "

Neither place has "strips"

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

Ko Olina is a small enclave situated around 4 manmade lagoons. One side is filled with residential homes then a golf course then on the lagoon frontage are Paradise Cove, Four Seasons, Disney Aulani, The Beach Villas and lastly Marriott Beach Club.

Since the Four Seasons opened there are more dining options but there is no beach shopping strip. There is a small strip mall with a handful of shops, a Pizza takeout, Mexican restaurant, MonkeyPod Kitchen, Ice cream parkour, coffee shop, a grocery / market ABC shop and I think Eggs n Thibgs may have opened.

There are restaurants in all the resorts as well as Roy’s in the Golf Course. Beach Villas have no dining.

Kapolei is 5-10mins up the road and is a normal residential area with restaurants and big box stores.

We love Ko Olina - it is a relaxed area but I wouldn’t stay there necessarily for a whole trip. Dependent on timing the traffic into and out of the area can be troublesome.

Haleiwa on the North Shore is a residential area with no hotel accommodation. You would need to ensure that you are booking legal rentals as this is a big concern to the local government areas.

Mentioned in this post
Kapolei
Kapolei
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,017 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

I think for your babymoon you picked the wrong island

Go to Maui and stay in Kihei

That will better suit your needs.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
4. Re: April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2018, 21:29

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

Oh do you?

Kapolei, HI
Level Contributor
2 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)

We live in Ko Olina at the Beach Villas about half the year. It's quiet, peaceful -- and ocean front.

It's a perfect honeymoon spot, in my opinion.

The beach lagoons are quiet and relaxing. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. I don't think you'd regret your Ko Olina decision.

Reply to: April: Ko Olina or Haleiwa (or somewhere else?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ko Olina
Recent Conversations