We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice

Troon, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice

Hi there. Been to Alvor 4 times and Carvoeiro once. Thought we'd try somewhere else and read reviews on Olhos de Agua and thought it sounded fairly similar, small and quaint. Reading more recent reviews starting to panic. Like eating out doesn't need to be fancy just nice food and enjoy a quiet drink or too . Are we not going to find this. A few reviews have not been too favourable on restaurants. HELP should I change mind and go back to one of the other two resorts. We are travelling in a couple of weeks

Mentioned in this post
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
Carvoeiro
Carvoeiro
Faro District, Portugal
Olhos de Agua
Olhos de Agua
Albufeira, Portugal
6 replies to this topic
Albufeira
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice

Avoid the places with bad reviews, stick to the ones with good.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
532 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice

We are in Alvor now but were in Olhos in May and return next Feb,There must be about 40 restaurants in the resort from tourist menu types, Indian, Chinese and others from mid range to the more expensive.I have no doubt you will be happy with the range available.

Mentioned in this post
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice

Hi, please don't worry - Olhos is beautiful and there are a lots of lovely resturants to try. My favourites are Ambrosia Nectar, Calherios, Tamarillo, Fratellis. all which you will see as you ealk around.

I have been to Alvor but prefer Olhos as it more compact and lovely little seafront - try the two bars / restaurants overlooking the sea (Taberna & Caxiote).

I am back myself in a couple of weeks for my 4th visit of the year so it can't be that bad! Sure you will enjoy it. It's nice to walk from olhos to Vilamoura (beach most of the way) and you can also walk to Albufeira if you fancy a change.

Mentioned in this post
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Albufeira
Albufeira
Faro District, Portugal
Troon, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice

Thanks for that. Is it an easy walk to Vilamoura and how long does it take.

Mentioned in this post
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice

Hi, about 1 hour 15 mins - mainly beach walking and relatively easy but depends on how quick you walk & also how hot it is. There are a couple of beach bars for stop offs along the way.

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice

It depends what your after. We have been to Alvor Carvoeiro and more recently Olhos. We liked them all for different reasons. We found restaurants to be more plentiful in terms of number and quality in Carvoeiro and Alvor ( but maybe we were just unlucky all the restaurants we visited in oalhos were ok but just ok, nothing really stood out). Carvoeiro was the hilliest overall, Olhos hills are a doddle compared to Carvoeiro with Alvor being the flattest. All the beaches were nice for different reasons. We loved well mainly the kids loved the hotel in Olhos. A change is as good as a rest get lots of restaurant recommendations beforehand Rampas was ok as was Fratelli’s. Symbiosis was nice for a cocktail with the swing seat but was very quiet. But then that worked well as the quietness lead to us feeling relaxed sleepy and early to bed. It was lovely waking up fresh without a thick head.

Mentioned in this post
Alvor
Alvor
Portimao, Portugal
Carvoeiro
Carvoeiro
Faro District, Portugal
Reply to: Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Olhos de Agua
More Olhos de Agua Topics