We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th January Visit

South Wales
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
25th January Visit

Visiting in two weeks. Weather forecast seems reasonable. I am assuming I should take a mix of warm and cooler clothing. Will there be many restaurants, cafes, shops open at this time of year? Is there a good bus service available to other places? First time visited during the winter months.

Any advice and information would be appreciated. Thank you.

21 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,449 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 25th January Visit

Bring something to keep the rain off. It will be warmer than South Wales but not necessarily drier.

"Will there be many restaurants, cafes, shops open at this time of year?"

Those used by residents will be open but most tourist venues will not be.

"Is there a good bus service available to other places? "

There are only two buses that pass through Olhos D'Agua, they don't run late in the evening and are few at weekends.

Buses to and from Albufeira www.algarvebus.info/002x.htm

You need to change bus at Albufeira to get anywhere further west

To Falesia and Rocha Baixinha www.algarvebus.info/023.htm

To Vilamoura, Quarteira and Faro www.algarvebus.info/002e.htm

Edited: 11 January 2018, 18:26
South Wales
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25th January Visit

Looking for a quiet holiday with a little sunshine, hopefully, with some nice walks, looking forward to it. Thank you very much for the information, much appreciated!

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25th January Visit

25th January - Burns Night!

You may struggle to find a haggis supper though :)

london
Level Contributor
123 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25th January Visit

I usually visit Olhos around that time (although unfortunately not this year), and always find enough places open to keep me occupied

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 25th January Visit

Don’t know where in Olhos you are staying SheShe, or whether you have visited the area before. If you can be more specific, we can let you know what might be open nearby. There won’t be a lot of restaurants or bars open, but most of those that are, are likely to be at either end of the village rather than in the centre.

It will certainly be quiet, but if you are lucky with the weather, it is very pleasant in the sunshine. If you like nice beaches, you will not be disappointed.

Regarding the buses, we always keep a copy of Cubsurs timetable which has been invaluable over the last couple of years, and whilst the buses are not regular (about every hour or so during the day on weekdays), they are generally pretty reliable time wise.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Olhos.

Edited: 12 January 2018, 03:00
South Wales
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 25th January Visit

Hi Cooknoe, I am staying at Agua Marinha. I haven't visited this area before so any information prior to going would be really helpful! I like walking and exploring and if I can sit in the sunshine with a book and a coffee that would be perfect! Fingers crossed for nice weather. Thank you in advance for any information or advice you may have. Much appreciated!

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 25th January Visit

SheShe, your hotel is about a ten to fifteen minute walk from the centre of Olhos, heading towards Albufeira. There are a handful of restaurants nearby (3 Maria’s, O Assador, Cantinho do Mar, Aroma di Mare, Adega do Ze, Palace Tandoori and Tiffany’s Indian) We are at the other side of Olhos, but have been over that way during the winter, and you should find several of these open. There is a nice friendly Cafe bar called Vira Milho nearby on the main road just past the Velamar Hotel. It has a large sunny patio at the front.

On the main road, Olhos is to the left. Just past the Intermarche supermarket, you will come across two coffee shops. First is the New York Cafe, then Cafe Creme Cafeteria (fabulous selection of cakes). Further along are S Martinos Italian, Duarte, and Tavertinos, all of which should be open. Cabrita and Nelson’s are also here, but I think they may be closed.

To get to the beach, you head on to the traffic lights and turn right down Rua 25 Abril. A quicker but much steeper route is down Rua da Ladeira which is behind the Oceanus Hotel. The town beach is small, but pretty, and you should find about four or five of the cafes/bars/restaurants open during the daytime.

The nearest bus stops to Albufeira, and to Vilamoura (opposite direction) are on the main road, very close to the end of your road. It is 2.30 euros into Albufeira, but not sure how much to Vilamoura. Santa Eulalia, and The Strip are also on the Albufeira route. If going to the Old Town in Albufeira, get off the bus at the Continente rather than the bus station. It is about a ten minute walk into the town.

South Wales
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 25th January Visit

Thank you so much Cooknoe for this excellent information, very much appreciated! So useful to know before I go. Looking forward to visiting Olhos having never been before. Thank you once again!

glasgow
Level Contributor
87 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 25th January Visit

The market cafe has a great sun trap, that’s next to intermarche on way up to centre of Olhos. It’s up a small ramp and has tables and red chairs outside. Nothing fancy but great to sit and read in the sun. My favourite spot to read has to be down at the beach though, enough places were open for us in December/January to keep us going. Wish I was there now.

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 25th January Visit

Totally agree scottishlass, I could sit down by the beach all day when the sun shines. Sleepy Donkey, Taberna Forja and Caixote are all great to spend an hour or two just watching the world go by. It’s great for people watching during the summer, and it’s equally lovely during the winter months when you have the place almost to yourselves.

Reply to: 25th January Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Olhos de Agua
More Olhos de Agua Topics