We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake with loons that's near a bookstore?

Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
lake with loons that's near a bookstore?

My wife and I have twice rented a cottage on the same small lake 20 minutes south of St.Johnsbury. My favorite day trip was to gorgeous Lake Willoughby. Hung out on the sandy beach, kayaked around the crystal waters (found the epic rope swing on the undeveloped west side) and hiked up the small but steep Mt.Pigsah to enjoy the magnificent views. Then drove over to Glover for the big finale: savoring the taco special at Parker Pie on a picnic table in their grassy backyard. That’s the day I fell in love with NE Kingdom.

Anyhoo, my wife is talking about renting south of St.Johnsbury again this summer. But I want to advance my love/knowledge of the Northeast Kingdom. Hoping to find a lake cottage rental north of St. J’s. Here’s what I’m looking for:

1) No more than 20 minutes away from a sweet small town with a good cafe/restaurant and a book store. Like Chester, VT.

2) Loons on the lake. Little or no motor boat activity.

3) At least 2 farmers markets within 30 minutes drive. Small markets are ok as long as they are good. Peacham’s is small but one of my all-time favorites.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

3 replies to this topic
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
594 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake with loons that's near a bookstore?

Craftsbury and Greensboro would be beautiful w regard to lakes, although I am not sure about loons there. Also further west, I believe there are loons on Green River Reservoir.Hardwick and St. J are good w regard to bookstore, cafe etc. Sort of pushing the boundaries of the Northeast Kingdom, Plainfield has an incredible used bookstore, a food co-op and great pizza. It's hard to think of anyplace in Vermont these days that's not w/in 30 minutes of a farmers market (though I have no idea how you are defining "as long as it's good.") Except all these places may be parallel to or south of St. J...

Edited: 03 January 2017, 05:06
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake with loons that's near a bookstore?

Check out Island Pond and Seymour Lake, although both allow motorized boats. It's pretty remote north of St. J so finding a vacation rental that fits all your requirements might be difficult -- but then, that's why people love the NEK so much. You may need to first do some legwork on sites like VRBO.com where you can use the search function to find lakefront rentals that meet your budget and needs, and then start researching the nearby towns.

Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake with loons that's near a bookstore?

I wonder if the lakes in the Calais/Woodbury area have loons? Nice, quiet lakes. Head to Hardwick or Montpelier for the bookstore, cafe, farmers market etc.

Reply to: lake with loons that's near a bookstore?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northeast Kingdom