We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEK Route Review for this weekend

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
NEK Route Review for this weekend

Good Afternoon,

We are planning for a day drive starting on 11th Oct(Sunday) starting Waterbury - Groton State Park (check out Kettle, Noyes and Seyon Fishing area) - St Johhsbury (Rt US2 and US5) - Newport (I91) - Lyndone (US5) - Jays State Forest (Rt 242) - Montgomery (Rt 242) - Waterbury covering around 210 miles and 5 hours non stop driving timing... my questions are -

1. Are any of these routes at peak at the moment?

2. If we start driving from early morning around sunrise do you think we can easily finish with photo stops and food etc by sundown? We are going to drive in this area for first time so would like to understand and estimate better.

3. Are there any area/paths you would recommend us to drop/add in the itinerary?

4. I have seen pictures of Jay's peak area but i am unable to find directions how to reach same, guidance please?

5. Any particular Barn, Ponds, Bridges you would suggest stopping for photos on the route as per this years reviews & talks?

6. Should we squeeze in Pichemen village as well?

7. Any suggestions for restaurants/local on the route?

8. Please suggest any photos ideals of this or past year to get an idea..

Thanks a lot for your inputs.. Appreciate a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Groton
Groton
Connecticut
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
4 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NEK Route Review for this weekend

I would not incorporate Routes 2, 5 and 91 (which is an interstate) into a driving tour to see foliage. You have hundreds of miles of small country roads to explore right from your doorstep on Waterbury. Routes 2, 5 and I-91 are heavily traveled (though I guess a Sunday morning shouldn't be too bad), and how much of the scenery do you take in at 50-65 mph?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NEK Route Review for this weekend

Adm_VT - appreciate the feedback.. could you please suggest alternatives routes/roads to cover NEK? Also please suggest has the peak arrived in NEK village/towns?

Do you have any info on how to travel to Jay's peak?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NEK Route Review for this weekend

Buy a Delorme Vermont Road Atlas. There are hundreds and hundreds of miles of country roads to take. East Hill Road in Calais is a favorite as is Darling Hill Road in Lyndon/Burke.

Jay Peak is a large ski resort a couple miles from the Canadian border.

http://www.jaypeakresort.com

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Jay Peak Resort
Jay Peak Resort
1,380 Reviews
Jay, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NEK Route Review for this weekend

As suggested, get a good map or atlas and plan alternatives to the main highways to get to where you want to go. You'll have a lot more fun that way. Most bigger gas stations in the Stowe/Waterbury area should have a selection to choose from.

From what I've been hearing and seeing, I think foliage is going to be pretty good this weekend across many parts of the state, especially central. Stowe area should be great. I don't know about NEK, many years it is past peak by now, but this has been a weird year.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Reply to: NEK Route Review for this weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northeast Kingdom