We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

Hello, we are going to stay in Norton, VT for a week this month. Want to explore Canada, not big cities, but villages, farms, scenic roads. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

14 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

That is a really remote area of Vermont you are staying in. The Eastern Townships of Quebec are just over the border. I am not familiar with the Quebec towns that far east, but this is a good website for planning your visit. http://www.easterntownships.org/ Further west, we have driven and biked around the towns of Sutton, Dunham and Brome and it's all very beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Eastern Townships
Eastern Townships
Quebec, Canada
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
632 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

Near Stanstead QC (right across the border from Derby Line VT) is the monastery of St-Benoit-du-Lac (which Louise Penney fans will recognize as the place The Beautiful Mystery was based on.) You can visit and listen to the Gregorian chant. There is supposed to be a well-developed bike trail north of there around Sherbrooke, some interesting nature areas and some (contemporary) standing stones. I will try to post a link. I love that peaceful and beautiful area of Quebec and Vermont and would also suggest (in the absence of more specific suggestions) just looking at a map and plotting a route of back roads and just enjoying getting lost and found and lost some more.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke
Quebec, Canada
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
941 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

I've been to Coaticook once, it's a nice enough little town. I believe there is some good hiking in the area. A little further northwest is Magog, a pleasant lakeside resort town that's very popular with Montreallers. Several restaurants, a nice pedestrian park/promenade along the lake, very French. Mt Orford Park offers hiking trails. There are about 20 wineries sprinkled around this area (known as the Eastern Townships), the biggest concentration near Dunham. As you head further west, the land gets very flat and open, kinda like Iowa meets rural France. If you enjoy bicycling, there is a flat, paved 18 mile bike trail from Waterloo to Granby, and fabulous bicycling everywhere. You'll see very few US plates and little English spoken.

Mentioned in this post
Magog
Magog
Quebec, Canada
Eastern Townships
Eastern Townships
Quebec, Canada
Waterloo
Waterloo
Region of Waterloo, Canada
Granby
Granby
Quebec, Canada
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
632 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

Tomifobianaturetrail.com

Stansteadstonecircle.org (apparently v close to border crossing)

I think the bike trail up around Sherbrooke also has a website but I don't have the address.

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke
Quebec, Canada
Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
632 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

The bicycling website is routeverte.com and it turns out to be a Canada-wide network of bike trails and other supports for bicyclists. To find info local to where you're going, you can click on Quebec and then Cantons de l'est/ Eastern Townships. This may be useful for exploring back roads and villages even if you're not on a bike.

Mentioned in this post
Eastern Townships
Eastern Townships
Quebec, Canada
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

Thanks a lot to everyone for posting such good suggestions! Will follow at least some of them.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

We had great time in north VT and south of QC.

Here are helpful links for future travelers:

Abbey de Saint-Benoit-Du-Lac (they produce and sell great cheese !!!)

http://www.st-benoit-du-lac.com/

Eastern Township Trail, Quebec

easterntownships.org/touristRoute/2/township…

The Summit Drive, Quebec

easterntownships.org/touristRoute/1/the-summ…

Charming hotel in North Hatley, QC

https:/…hovey-quebec-north-hatley

Breat and Puppet Theatre. (Amazing puppets available to see for free at any time, also tours and shows)

http://breadandpuppet.org/

Thanks a lot for all those, who helped!!!!!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

Hey Yelena. My wife and I are heading up to Saint Johnsbury tomorrow. I am going to ride the mountain bike trails at Kingdom Trails in the Burke area. Did you happen to hang out in Saint Johnsbury or Burke? I know the riding is going to be awesome but my wife doesn't really ride. I was thinking of heading up to Mount Orford Park and Sherbrooke. Did you guys make it there? We went to Stanstead a few years ago. It was cool seeing the Pat Burns rink and going down the street on both sides of the border. I am hoping to find out what people think of visiting Mount Orford Park and Sherbrooke. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Johnsbury
Saint Johnsbury
Northeast Kingdom, VT
Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke
Quebec, Canada
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
941 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Explore Canada villages near Norton, VT

St Johnsbury is a quiet little city - not much to do if you don't hike or bike. It's in a very rural part of Vermont.

Mt Orford is great, it's actually outside Magog. Magog is a fun little lakeside resort town with a beach, boat rides, shops, etc. It's also great road biking. There are several wineries in the area also. Sherbrooke is a fairly large city with lots of strip malls and such. The down town is ok, and there is a pleasant lake and farmers market in town. If you want to bike in Orford, i would definitely choose Magog over Sherbrooke.

Edited: 07 August 2016, 22:14
Mentioned in this post
Saint Johnsbury
Saint Johnsbury
Northeast Kingdom, VT
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Magog
Magog
Quebec, Canada
Sherbrooke