We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beloved vs. Secrets

Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Beloved vs. Secrets

HI TA friends: Hoping for some insight. My better half and I were supposed to be headed to Secrets Wild Orchid in Montego Bay this Tuesday, but due to a medical issue we needed to cancel. I am now looking at options to reschedule in February. SWO is significantly more expensive then, so I'm looking at other options/locations. AO AI is a must.

In the Cancun area, I have Beloved Playa Mujeres and Secrets Playa Mujeres on the list. We went to Excellence Riviera Cancun in 2016 and one thing we didn't like about it was the beach. Thinking that the Playa Mujeres beach looks more appealing. Don't want to deal with the hotel zone. BPM is running about 20% more than SPM but based on reviews, I think it might be worth it.

Other locations/resorts on the list include: Sanctuary Cap Cana in DR; Couples Tower Isle, Jewel Paradise Cove, and Jewel Dunn's River in Jamaica.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,169 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

How many nights are you looking to go for and can you list some likes and dislikes for your ideal property?

Thanks

Hilton Head, South...
2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

Hey Robbi D - I have stayed at Secrets Puerto Morales once and about to have my fourth visit to Beloved. The customer service is no comparison and no matter how great a resort is, customer service can make or break your trip!

Santuary Cap Cana - I found our first room was pretty run down - we ended up upgrading for $$$ for a private villa with pool - it was really just okay, won't be returning there. The rest of the marina there was odd - like a ghost town.

Good luck with your decision!

Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

Hi All! Thanks for your responses.

Flipflop: reposting this here from the other thread: thanks for weighing in as your reviews and onsite reports factored into my choices! We'll be going for 5 nights. As for likes: nice beach and calm waters, which is why the areas farther north in PC didn't make the list. We really don't want any kids; been there, done that and ours are out of college. We're in our early 50's. This will be a real R&R trip so while I'll be happy to paddleboard or kayak, and maybe take a yoga class, and my partner might play a round of golf if it's convenient, we might not do any of that in lieu of laying about with a nice tropical drink. We liked the relaxing vibe at CSA in Negril, along with the martini bar, piano bar and entertainment. The food was fine for us. We didn't love Excellence Riviera Cancun; there was nothing wrong per se, but were disappointed in the beach, and the food, and thought most of the entertainment was subpar. There was something oddly formal about ERC that we didn't care for.

wonhwa: thanks especially for the comparison of Beloved vs. Secrets. I was getting that feel from some of the reviews and wondered why Secrets didn't have more buzz on the forum. Now it makes sense.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,169 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

Hi

We are lucky enough to have been to the likes Couple Negril, Swept Away, SPM, ERC & TBH and overall we like TBH the most

I would agree with you abut the laid back vibe of Couples and this is why we like TBH so much. The beach is not quite in the same league but you will be able to go out in a kayak and do some paddle boarding

Secrets is a very nice property but it always seem to be quite lively and adults staying at Dreams next door also have access to it's facilities

We enjoyed the food and personal service and TBH and loved the evening entertainment in the Lupita Lounge each evening where there was always live music

As far as Sanctuary goes we also love it there and will be returning for a 10th time next April. I would agree that some of the rooms need some attention and this is why they are closing next year for 4 months for a major expansion and renovation programme. The owners have also hired a anew management company to move them forward to yet another new level

Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

Fabulous info FlipFlop! Thank you!

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

stayed at secrets playa mujeres last November and TBH in April this year. Did not like the layout of SPM and there was no central bar area to relax at in the evening. TBH has the wonderful Lupita lounge to enjoy in the evening and the Lobby bar. Preferred TBH and returnng next April. Would not return to SPM.

Edited: 26 October 2017, 04:54
Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

If your a beach person you might want to check out Secrets Cap Cana in the DR We thought it was a nicer setup then Sanctuary Cap Cana more lively like other Secrets resorts. This year EPM is high on our list for this coming March but after reading some of the posts here in the PM forum is making me think twice. We also like that aqua marine water and white sand

Robbi D

One of the things you need to take into consideration when it comes down to PM, Cancun or any resort in the RM is that in Feb its still a bit cool the pools if there not heated also can get really cold. Things really don't warm up until the first weeks of March the wind can make it feel cold as well on the beach. It's not like going to the Caribbean during this time a lot depends on what type of winter were having here in the US.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
203 reviews
8. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

The beloved looks and sounds like an awesome resort. We have only tried EPM and ERC, and you are right ERC did not have a great beach, but the resort at both Excellence properties are fantastic and much better than Secrets properties to us.

Edited: 01 November 2017, 00:36
9. Re: Beloved vs. Secrets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2018, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres