We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Bangalore
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Guys,

Iam planning for a trip from Bangalore to Wayanad next week. I own a swift vxi. Google gives me 2 different options. Kindly guide on which one to take.

Route 1: Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - S.Bathery - Wayanad

Route 2: Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagara - Gudlupet - S.Bathery - Wayanad.

With respect to route 1, I had driven till mysore. So I dont know abt the road conditions from Mysore to Wayanad via Nanjangud. Kindly suggest.

With respect to route 2, I know the road conditions till Gundlupet. (Drove last week to masinagudi via route 2).

Kindly advice which route to be taken considering the current traffic and road conditions. Not sure if one has to pass through any ghat section from gundlupet to wayanad.

FYI, my homestay is booked in Meppadi, Wayanad. Also pls suggest worth watching tourist places in and around.

Suggestions highly appreciated. Thanks in advance folks.

92 replies to this topic
cochin
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

hi

now the road condition is perfect

george

Bangalore
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Hi George, thanks for your comment. Can you pls specify how the road conditions are (especially from gundlupet to wayanad) pls.

Thanks

cochin
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

guldulpet to wayanad was little problem, but now it is rectified and 80% okei

george

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

I had been to Wayanad(but a yr back) from Bangalore in my own car. I advice you to take different routes to reach and return.

Towards Wayanad --> Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery(Wayanad)

Return --> Wayanad(Kalpetta) - Mananthavady - Tholpetty - Nagarhole - Hunsur - Mysore - Bangalore

With the above routes you can cross Wayanad/Bandipur Wildlife sanctuary with a lot of wildlife sightings and while coming back you can cross Nagarhole National park which also offers a lot of wildlife sightings during the drive.

The road conditions inside Wayanad is not great, but its good outside wayanad in both the routes i mentioned. Drive slowly while in the jungle enjoying it.

I have few maps in my blog which could help you too.

My travel blog on Bangalore - Wayanad Road trip - …travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

5. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 01:08

Bangalore
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Dear Fleming,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will take different routes for onward and return journey as per your advice.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Hi Alen,

Nice write up about Wayanad and your stay. As per your vision, Can you pls suggest which are the places worth watching. FYI, my stay is booked in Meppadi, close to cholamala.

Thanks

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,218 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Hi SarojiniRam P

We went to Soochipara waterfalls (sentinel waterfall) there you have to step down around 200 steps to reach this waterfalls (climb up to return) as this is located at the end of a valley But worth visiting

Next day we went to Edakkal cave where you have to r climb a steep cliff

And wildlife sanctuaries (Muthanga and tholpetty timing 7-9 am and 3-5 pm spoting animals depend on your luck

Also visit Kuruva island where you can go for bamboo ride (we did not visit since we did not have time)

Pookat lake, banasara sagar dam, lakkidi view are other atrtactions

regards,

Alen_10

Edited: 20 January 2013, 00:47
Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
873 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Hi

Welcome to Wayanad.

Gundalpet - Wayanad road is in good condition till Kerala border. However, you need to be very careful about the humps, some of them without any indication. After border, almost 8 km, road is not in very good condition. This stretch is being redone.

The route through Tholpetty, almost 30 km is in bad condition.

For sightseeing places you may refer my post

tripadvisor.in/…42324257

Regards

Sam

Groowynd Holidays

Bangalore
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad

Hi Sam, Thanks for your reply. I read a lot about the bad stretch between S.Bathery and Kalpetta. As you are a destination expert for Kalpetta, Can you pls update about the curent situation?

Many Thanks!

Reply to: Current road conditions - Bangalore to Wayanad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kalpetta