We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CRNP -- 1.5 day itinerary (hikes)

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
100 posts
85 reviews
CRNP -- 1.5 day itinerary (hikes)

Hello All

I have an ambitious plan that could use a sanity check or some priority calls. Family of 4 (teens) in good shape but coming from sea level. We fly into Grand Junction at 10 am and then have 2 nights in Torrey. I figure we will get to CRNP by ~2pm on that first day. First week of June. Here's the plan:

Day 1 (2 pm start):

Scenic Drive

Capitol Gorge

Cassidy Arch

(some) Grand Wash

Day 2 (early start)

Hickman Bridge

Rim Overlook

(Navajo Knobs probably too far/too much)

[back in car]

Chimney Rock

We could fit in Goosenecks and Sunset Point on either day. On Day 3 we head to Moab via Goblin Valley -- separate topic to come.

Thoughts? Any key omissions?

Suggestions for where to stop for sandwiches, snacks and water (preferably gallon jugs for our Camelbaks) en route from Grand Junction?

For Grand Wash, are their better parts at one end or the other?

Thanks!

Edited: 23 April 2018, 05:40
13 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
204 posts
11. Re: CRNP -- 1.5 day itinerary (hikes)

As someone who also comes from a lower elevation (1215 ft), I would recommend drinking a LOT of water during the weeks before you go. Drink it until your eyeballs are swimming. lol

Being well hydrated will help a lot with the altitude change, especially where you want to land at 10 and hike by 2.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
100 posts
85 reviews
12. Re: CRNP -- 1.5 day itinerary (hikes)

Thanks to all for the input. It looks like we have a plan.

Stacy -- that's a great idea. We travel west frequently and do a good job of hydrating while there but I actually hadn't considered the pre-hydration option. We'll add that in!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
100 posts
85 reviews
13. Re: CRNP -- 1.5 day itinerary (hikes)

Arrival day was too ambitious as just had time/energy for Capitol Gorge and Cassidy Arch. We managed Grand Wash, Hickman's Bridge and the Chimney Rock Loop on day 2.

Austin's Chuckwagon (2BR cabin) worked out well. Only wish the general store would open earlier so we could get going!

Photos and blog if interested. We spent 5 nights in Moab for part 2.

https:/…

Reply to: CRNP -- 1.5 day itinerary (hikes)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...