We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah visit

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Utah visit

I am visiting Utah in June 2019. Two sisters, age 64 and 65. One has no patience for long lines and waits .... I am not hung up on having to go to all the big name Parks, being from Florida, it will all be wonderful to me. So far on my list is Capitol Reef. Maybe Goblin Valley State Park. Dead Horse State Park.

I would appreciate some suggestions for perhaps some state parks that are pretty but won’t be crazy busy. That we could do some lite hiking in.

I would like to try for one big name park, thinking if we could drive to the back then Turn around and take our time driving out and stop at the scenic overlooks. Which one would you suggest.

Would also appreciate a location for a commercial Jeep tour.

Looks like we could fly into LV or SLC. Is one better than the other.

We will have probably two weekends and a week between.

If there is already a forum topic that addresses the smaller parks, if you point me in the right direction, I will research further.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brynn

5 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah visit

Choose Moab for a less crowded feeling. Canyonlands Islands in the Sky and Dead Horse SP are easier to avoid crowds. Arches is accessible and OK if you choose the right time of day. DannMicks does a great Jeep tour at Moab. So add these to your existing list.

And finally, plan a day or two for UT12 between Torrey and Bryce. It’s as good as any of the NPs.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,786 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah visit

I agree with RedRox. Go to Moab for 4 or 5 nights and then do a couple of nights in Torrey Utah for Capitol Reef.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,786 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah visit

Also. If you go to Moab use SLC airport. Las Vegas is too,far away.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah visit

I can't imagine anybody thinking that Moab is 'less crowded'. Torrey is much smaller with a lot of non-park accessible countryside that is almost empty but very attractive. The center of the park itself gets busy, not so much because of the crowds as that it isn't set up to handle the current visitation level. I drive tours for an outfitter to remote parts of the back country, I recommend Cathedral Valley for a first tour, send me a PM if you would like more information (though I can't promise what will happen in 2019!)

Moreno Valley...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah visit

if you go to Capitol Reef you should take hwy 12 to Bryce pull of f at some of the overlooks. On your way take the Burr trail drive until the road turns to dirt. It is very nice back there.

Reply to: Utah visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...