We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Capitol Reef

Level Contributor
31 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Capitol Reef

I will be visiting Capitol Reef in a couple of weeks. I have a hotel in Torrey and my friend will be camping in the park. As it stands now, I am supposed to drop him off at the edge of the scenic drive. I have a fear of heights, so I wanted to make sure this is an area I could drive. I do not like sharp drop offs. I will only be driving about 7 miles, from Torrey to the scenic drive. What is the drive like there? Once I am in the park and with my friend, he will be driving, so I am fine in the passenger seat. I just needed information on the drive from Torrey to the edge of the scenic drive.

3 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,715 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Capitol Reef

There are no drop offs anywhere on the scenic drive in Capitol Reef. There are no drop offs on the road from Torrey to the park.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Capitol Reef

Ryan, the road is well paved, no drop offs. The scenic drive is a two ways lane. I assume that you will drop your friend at Fruita campground inside the park, the road from Torrey to Fruita via scenic drive is well maintained, paved.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Capitol Reef

There are no scary roads in that area at all. From Torrey to the junction is in a valley. The scenic drive is also a valley location. All the cliffs rise above you. Enjoy the beauty.

Reply to: Visiting Capitol Reef
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...