We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After research still have a few questions....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
After research still have a few questions....

After doing my due diligence on TA I have a vew questions about JTNP. My girlfriend and I plan on making it a day trip this coming Saturday from our base in Palm Desert. From the park website, it looks like Cottonwood is the best place for wildflowers, so I'm thinking that will be our hike of choice; about 3 miles according to park info. Could someone out there confirm this info. Also weather is consistently showing it cooler at JTNP than Palm Springs....in the 60's this weekend. I somehow expected it to be hotter. Does it change with elevation, not sure about clothing for hiking. Finally, I collect national park posters and was wondering what visiter center would be recommended for this. Thanks in advance!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After research still have a few questions....

JTNP is higher in elevation than Palm Desert, so cooler.Palm Desert is real close to sea level, and Cottonwood is about 3000 feet.

You could do a loop of the park. Enter via Cottonwood then exit via the west entrance at the town of Joshua Tree.

On the way into Cottonwood , the road goes up a wash. You may see some blooming there.The visitor center is there, where you pay the entrance fee. There is a gift shop there or a gift shop/visitor center when you exit the park near hwy 62.

At Cottonwood, you could do a hike to Mastadon Peak for a view of the Salton Sea.

Continuing up the park road, you will come across a large grouping of Ocotillo.They may be blooming.Its been a real dry year, so the overall blooms this year might not be all that great.

Next stop is the cholla cactus garden.There is a short trail there.

The Joshua Trees grow in the north end of the park in the higher Mojave desert section of the park.

There are pics of Mastodon Peak in here.

https:/…JoshuaTreeNationalPark

If you wanted to extend your drive, you could head down to Mecca, cross the canal and take Box Canyon Road up to I-10 and on into Cottonwood.

Box Canyon goes up a wash, so there is a possibility of some blooms there. If not, its a cool drive anyway.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 03:25
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After research still have a few questions....

Mastodon is three miles r/t by the way.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After research still have a few questions....

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks so much for answering promptly! I can report back on wildflowers next week.

4. Re: After research still have a few questions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree National...
More Joshua Tree National Park Topics