We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking activities in advance in July?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Booking activities in advance in July?

We are a family of four (children aged 8 and 11) visiting Zion for a couple of days in July, staying at Springdale. Can we decide what activities to do when we arrive or are there things in such demand that they should be booked in advance?

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking activities in advance in July?

Usually a couple of days is just a sufficient amount of time to visit/see the park itself. Thankfully at this point they still have not implemented a reservation system to enter the main canyon/or to hike the popular trails.

There are out of park activities of which the main one is canyoneering, and to a lesser degree hiking and sunset/hummer tours. They would have to be booked in advance to register a guarantee.

Gear for hiking the bottom up Narrows might need advance reservations. I have not heard any high demand for any other type of gear or bike rentals.

There is a horseback trail ride in the park of which I have no idea how popular it is. But you would still want to book that in advance at canyonrides.

You do not need a guide to hike in the park, even tho there is a few select routes.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
3,005 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,436 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking activities in advance in July?

Having never booked any activity at Zions I can't really say. And things have changed even in the last three years as far as number of people visiting, so hard to know for sure.

Since canyoneering trips are limited however if that is something you really have on your radar I would book that.

The horseback rides from Zions Lodge did not need to be booked anymore than a day ahead a few years ago.

My feeling is that with only a couple of days I would not necessarily need to fill the time up with extra activities. The park itself is enchanting. I would recommend you rent some bikes (again just a day notice should be fine). and if possible put them on a shuttle riding it to the end of the canyon and then ride the bikes back down the canyon. It is a great way to experience the park away from the crowds.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,357 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking activities in advance in July?

With only a couple of days at Zions, I’d focus on activities inside the park. No reservations needed.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking activities in advance in July?

Thank you for your input!

Reply to: Booking activities in advance in July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted