We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

Vermont
Level Contributor
8 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

Would you stay 4 nights and just drive from Zion to Bryce during the day?

I’m currently booked to stay 2/2 and wonder if this is the best approach. We would be in Zion July 3&4 this summer and moving on to Bryce. We are a family with older teens looking to hike and explore.

Thanks for any help on this!

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

I would not try a day trip from Zion to Bryce. It's about two hours one way, just to get inside of the park. Then additional time to drive to the various viewpoints. I would either do a 2/2 split or 3 nights in Zion and 1 for Bryce. Probably leaning towards a 3/1 split.

Bryce is a much smaller park and easier to absorb with an overnight stay. You could easily do the scenic drive with viewpoints and then a hike like Peek -A- Boo trail or Queens Garden/Navajo Trail Loop in a single day.

In Zion, you'll want to hike The Narrows one day. That will take a full day. Then you'll want some time to hike a viewpoint trail like Angel's Landing or Observation Point. Zion will be a more crowded park if that has any factoring in the decision.

Mentioned in this post
Navajo Trail
Navajo Trail
622 Reviews
Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,860 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,487 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Observation Point
Observation Point
624 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Vermont
Level Contributor
8 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

Thank you! I have read that I need to apply for a pass to hike the Narrows and that Angels landing is a strenuous and long hike. I’m looking for challenging but not overwhelming.

It sounds like there is much more to do in Zion so I may adjust to 3/1. We are staying at Best Western Zion I’m in Springdale since it’s on shuttle route.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,487 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

You only need a permit for a top down hike of The Narrows, which is over 16 miles. If you start at the bottom and walk upstream, you do not need a permit and can go for as long as wanted. Many people turn back around at Orderville Canyon, though I would try to make it through the Wall Street section.

Angel's Landing may be difficult depending on your fitness levels and aversion to heights. It's only a 2.5 mile hike, one way, with 1,500-feet of elevation gain. So not terribly long or terribly steep over the duration. But yes, definitely stay within your comfort levels. I would say that a person in reasonable health, without a fear of heights could hike it just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,487 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Vermont
Level Contributor
8 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

Thank you so much ! This info helps a lot. This has been a trip we have been wanting to do for awhile. Looking forward to it.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

An amendment to my statement that you can hike from the bottom of The Narrows upstream, for as long as wanted. All travelers hiking upstream have to turn back around at Big Springs. Most don't go that far though.

Have a fun holiday. Get early morning starts to beat the crowds. And if you decide to do The Narrows, I recommend renting the neoprene socks/shoes/walking stick package at an outfitter in Springdale. It's about $25 and will help keep your feet warm, other shoes dry, and the walking stick for upper body stability and third point of contact.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,860 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Vermont
Level Contributor
8 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

Thank you, this is all very helpful in our planning!

Nashville
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...

As far as Angels Landing, you can do the first two miles to Scout Lookout and get great views without tackling the Angels Landing chain portion. Often, some people in a group will do that while others do the whole hike.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,487 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Reply to: Zion/Bryce would you stay two nights in each or...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted