We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

Central Florida...
5 posts
Save Topic
How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

We will be tent camping June 20-23 at Watchman. If the days are blazing hot, how quickly do the temps drop at night? Still in the 80's at 10pm? I read a comment somewhere, where the person said it didn't get cool enough for them to sleep until 2am...

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

Temps will definitely drop. Plan on layers for a cooler temp during the night. It's never kept me up until 2am.

utah
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

Yep, it can take a while for them to drop - often 11 pm or 12 pm until its comfortable for sleeping for me. One trick that can help is to have a water spray bottle to mist yourselves to cool off - just don't get so wet you will be cold later in the night.

USA
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

If you go to weather.com and click on hourly, it shows the forecasted temp by hour.

Edited: 18 May 2018, 11:29
Central Florida...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

Thank you for the responses, a mister is a great idea! I finally found a NOAA data dump of hourly temps from Torrey last summer. Even if it was mid 90's during the day, it dropped to below 80 by 10pm. I was debating the need to rent a campervan with AC, but below 82 with low humidity, I can deal with. Thanks!

utah
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

Are you asking about Torrey or Watchman? The answer is very different - in Torrey which is much higher elevation the temperature drops much more quickly than Watchman at a much lower elevation.

Central Florida...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?

Ah, I was afraid of that. We're staying in Watchman, but the only hourly data I found was for Torrey. I'd really rather go with a tent instead of campervan, so we'll makes it work! The tent interior is mostly mesh, so without the fly it'll prob be fine. Or cowboy camping under the stars :)

I'm hoping to do an overnight on the East Rim trail, to catch sunrise at Observation Pt, and descend into main canyon in the cooler morning. So that elevation might make for one cooler night.

Thanks!

Reply to: How quickly do temps drop at night in summer?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park