We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Trip - Is there a "season" - Best time for visit

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
193 reviews
August Trip - Is there a "season" - Best time for visit

Hello,

Planning a trip to SJI and maybe Orca Island in August. Is there a "season" for the Islands, and when would that be? Also, Is there a best time to visit during August, or later in the fall?

Thanks in advance for your help!

4 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: August Trip - Is there a "season" - Best time for visit

It's Orcas Island, and it's not named after killer whales but after a person. It's as bad as Bandelier National Monument, also improbably named after a person.

Don't go in August. it'll just be you and half of Seattle fighting for lodging and ferry reservations. The other half of Seattle is trying to find space in Olympic National Park. Go in May or early October. The islands are in a rain shadow, which helps in the shoulder season.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: August Trip - Is there a "season" - Best time for visit

Summer is certainly busiest. If you mean this August, I have to think you're going to find limited availability for lodging at this point. Don't forget you need a vehicle reservation for the ferry if you are bringing a car. I'm told there isn't as much of an off season anymore--it's gotten busier in the shoulder seasons. I still prefer that (May and September); I like it better when it's a little quieter. Many vacation homes and inns have a longer minimum stay in summer as well. PS it's Orcas not Orca island.

Although if you are using season in a West Palm Beach kind of way, which is kinda what it sounds like...it's not like that, thank god.

Edited: 12 July 2018, 02:26
Eastsound...
Level Contributor
99 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: August Trip - Is there a "season" - Best time for visit

I would say our "season" is currently from April through September. Early October is my favorite time of year around here. Much easier to get accommodations and dinner reservations.

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
193 reviews
4. Re: August Trip - Is there a "season" - Best time for visit

Thanks - I appreciate your help! I also apologize for the mis-spelling.

Edited: 13 July 2018, 03:26
Reply to: August Trip - Is there a "season" - Best time for visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Juan Island