We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Northants
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Currency

I am soon off gto Antigua and am tryong to sort out what currency to take.

Would I be best taking US or EC dollars??

Should I take sterling with me and change it in Antigua??

Any advice??

Thanks

Louise

maidstone
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Hi

We have just come back from Antigua if i were to return i would take us$. We took all of the above and with hindsite would only take us$ or ec$ as everything is priced in both . I would say you get a slightly better deal in us$

Hope this helps, have a great trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

I don't see much point in taking US$s.

Also, you will get a much better exchange rate for £s in Antigua than you will in the UK. The difference can be as much as 5 to 10%.

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

Rather than taking pounds and chnging them at a bak, you're better of using an ATM at a bank that's associated with your bank at home and getting ECDs. You'll get the days best rate, same with credit card purchases.

maidstone
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

I think it depends if you can get to a cash machine easily. We couldn't so it would mean a lot of hassle, taxi fares etc.

Also our holiday was too special to waste time in banks!

You probably would get a better rate in Antigua but do they charge you commission on each transaction?

Ithink i would still opt for us$ for an easy life

Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

What was I drinking? Make that:

Rather than taking pounds and changing them at a bank, you're better off using an ATM at a bank that's associated with your bank at home and getting ECDs. You'll get the days best rate, same with credit card purchases.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Not recommended to use an ATM machine in Antigua unless you really have to. There has been endless fraud over the past year and I don't think the banks have resolved the problem. Coming from the UK, unless you have a stash of US$ left from another holiday I suggest you stick to £ and just change them at the little hole in the wall bank at VC Bird Airport, work out how much you think you will be spending and change that into EC$. This is what we do everytime we go to Antigua. Then put that cash into a safe in your room and don't carry it all around with you.

antigua
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

It is not mathematically possible to get a better deal in US $ unless someone needs to go to the USA that night and the banks have closed. It's that simple. If you don't mind losing a bit of cash now and then take US. If you are coming from the UK and want to throw your money away then change it into US and spend it in Antigua. Check a post on this thread for more info: www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php…

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

Your best bet is actually to bring Sterling T/C, and change them at the banks here in Antigua.You will get a much better rate here than buying US or ECD $.In the UK.

In fact the rate this morning to buy Sterling T/C at my bank in Antigua is the following.

T/C 4.0215

Cash 3.90.

Hope that helps

9. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2008, 04:51
antigua
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency

it doesn't matter if you don't mind throwing away money on exchange rates. IF you do, then don't change your currency into something other than EC dollars in Antigua.