We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Offline apps?

Des Moines...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Offline apps?

Looking for any information or suggestions for offline phone apps like directions using just the GPS functionality on my iphone. Have ATT which I've been told does NOT work in Cuba. Or maybe a translation service. Leaving next week so sny advice would be gladly accepted!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Arlington VA USA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Offline apps?

Once you install the app and load up Spanish i find Google translate works well offline. You won't be able to hear the pronunciation with out wifi but will be able to get the translation. I have just put the app... maps.me... on my tablet and selected Cuba for offline access...it seems to work well but I will not be in Cuba until next week so I haven't been able to try it there.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
MPLS
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Offline apps?

Google Translate and Maps me. Down load before you leave and test on airplane mode. We had to Change some setting on my Samsong Note 3 .

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Offline apps?

I use Maps.me in Cuba frequently. It works well. If your phone has A-GPS instead real GPS then it may not be able to locate in some areas, like on Cayos, not enough cell towers for triangulation.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
London
Level Contributor
142 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Offline apps?

First you can download the TripAdvisor Havana guide for offline use. Then there's a free travel app by Triposo that gives you a map, and some places to see/eat/stay, right across the island. The listings on the free version are a bit limited but the map works well offline with just GPS. You download the app then the country you want.

Mentioned in this post
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Offline apps?

Google maps can be used offline. With internet, search Havana, or where ever you are going and when you have it on the screen write 'ok maps' and it asks if you would like to download it. Works like a charm everytime!!

Mentioned in this post
Arlington VA USA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Offline apps?

Try it to make sure. I believe Google maps currently will not support Cuba for offline viewing.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Canada
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Offline apps?

maps.me works offline and has pretty good marking of hotels, landmarks, historic sites, restaurants, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Offline apps?

Another vote for Mapsme.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
128 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Offline apps?

Stay.com has a Havana guide with maps. You can also create your own guide for offline use.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Offline apps?

Maps.me works well on Cayo Largo, but didn't work at all in Santiago de Cuba (on iPhone 5)

Some people saying it's because of close Guantanamo military base...

Edited: 27 January 2017, 11:28
Mentioned in this post
;