We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourest travel to Cuba from the US

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
tourest travel to Cuba from the US

Is there still a restriction on who can travel to Cuba from the US (US Citizen)? I know at first you had to be educational or humanitarian... but I was wondering if they have lifted these requirements. My daughter said that a lot of her friends went for spring break. I would love to go with my family over the December holidays and I can get a direct flight from the airline but was wondering what visas or documentation I'd require? I'd hate plan a trip only to find out when I get to Newark that I can't board.

12 replies to this topic
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

For the next few months, the rules haven't been set in stone. You can't say you are going for tourism, but of course you are.

The airlines will get you to sign a form and you will say you are going to Support the Cuban People as Sen. Marco Rubio advises.

Take lots of photos, eat in locally owned restaurants, stay in Casas and use local cabs to support the Cubans. Keep some records of your trip for 5 years. Have a great time but don't look like it, LOL.

That's it, Easy-Peasy.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,973 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

The restrictions are not on who can travel from the US to Cuba but for what reason.

But it is all on an "honour" basis. You declare to the airline that you are travelling for one of the allowed reasons and you go. No one has been asked to provide any evidence.

The other thing you need is the Cuban visa which the airline or their agent will sell to you.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

When you book your ticket online; you will have to select one of the 12 approved reasons for travel to Cuba by checking a box on the OFAC Declaration.

Just use Support for the Cuban People as your reason for traveling to Cuba.

Cuban Medical Insurance ($25) is automatically included in price of your ticket.

Your boarding pass will be stamped.

This is your proof of Cuban Medical Insurance.

Check the website of the airline you will fly on.

The website will inform you on that airline's process for obtaining a Visa; also known as a Tourist Card & the cost of the Visa/Tourist Card; which is usually picked up at the departure airport.

Of course, you will need your passport.

Edited: 10 October 2017, 10:33
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

Spunky, '' have a good time but don't look like it '' ???? Come on now...

You are going to confuse already confused folks.....

And if that was the case, I would still be in a Cuban jail...lol... :)

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,973 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

Still ?

How long were you in a Cuban jail, j ?

And iSpunky is not saying that the Cubans don't want you to have fun but that is your government.

Edited: 10 October 2017, 10:40
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

No, lol, that's what I meant, don't tell folks you can't look like you are having fun, I mean it's not like the U.S. has people there , checking ID'S... to make sure Americans are not having to much fun, or , oh my God, at a beach......... I meant if you were having to much fun, then I would be in trouble and be in a jail .....(joking(...lol

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,973 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

Just ribbing you.

US visitors probably have even less to worry about now the US has withdrawn all its spies ... er ... diplomatic personnel.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

Berado, I know, isn't that correct, it gets stranger by the day...All you long time posters must wish you could go back to the day before Americans had flights going, and all this confusion developed lol

Level Contributor
79 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

I am booking a flight tomorrow to go to Cuba in November...I was going to do it today and got nervous! If these laws go into effect before then, will we lose all of our money? I thought selecting "support of the Cuban people" would work. I'm mainly going to learn to Salsa dance and of course a little beach time. Would it better to fly from Cancun?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tourest travel to Cuba from the US

Rachel we are all having fun, absolutely positively go. You will be fine, nothing is changing overnight ! Go enjoy a beach, dance salsa, drink mojitos, and enjoy the Cuban folks. you will love it !!

Reply to: tourest travel to Cuba from the US
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted