We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist cards

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist cards

Great info in Dominican news the other day, the president announced that as of January 1,2018 the 10 USD fee for tourist cards will be included in the flight prices. My guess is you will be handed out the card before your arrival as some airlines did already. I believe all Canadian airlines did it, if not all them moct.

So if you are planning a trips to Dominican republic after December 31, 2017, do not purchase the cards online!

Denise

Mentioned in this post
17 replies to this topic
Scarborough
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist cards

Sunwing is the only one that does not include it.

Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist cards

3rdtimer, the rest of the airline carrier world do not so this affects more than just Canada.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist cards

As of January 1st 2018 nobody has to purchase it separately, no matter where you are coming from!

Denise

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist cards

We purchased our tickets few days ago (Dec 11) for January 19th, 2018 with AirTransat. Would the tourist cards be included or should we purchase them online?

Thanks

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist cards

Just called Transat and was told that tourist card will be provided on the flight.

Have a great day!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist cards

I believe Air Transat did include it before already as most Canadian airlines. Enjoy your vacation!

Denise

London
Level Contributor
112 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist cards

Hi Denise

I purchase my holiday with Thompson from UK months ago and I am flying to Punta Cana on the 07/01. Went on the embassy website and did not find anything about it be included in the flight. Thomson also don’t have any information so I bought the cards online. Do you think I am overpaying for the card? Now I feel silly I did not check the forum here earlier.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist cards

They are saying in the Dominican news that you can ask for refund. Not sure how that would work. Can you cancel it online somehow? Since you purchased the holiday before the announcement of the changes, the fee for the tourist card was not included in the flight (my guess). Too bad that people at the travel agencies are not informed about these changes.

Denise

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,707 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist cards

Luanabr,

When the announcement was released in the Dominican press I contacted TUI (Thomson) to give them the info and they were passing it to the relevant department, so I don't expect them to have the tourist card included in new airfares and holidays as yet.

I don't know how long it is going to take for the airlines and tour operators to get this sorted as the President did not give the airlines and tour operators much notice.

BTW yes you did overpay by purchasing your tourist cards from the Dominican Republic Embassy in London as they are charging £11.50 plus £3 p&p where you could have purchased them from the DGII website for $10 the same as on arrival so with the exchange rate would have only paid £15.19 for two where you would have had a PDF to download and print off the tourist cards.

Angie.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist cards

Angie, that's priceless. Most people rely in the tour operator to tell them of any changes, but TUI seem to be late with updates. (Remember the riu fiasco) Its a bit much to expect their customers to inform them about changes. However, I expect they're not the only ones. I know you dont work for them, but I think they should pay you commission.

Marje

Edited: 14 December 2017, 20:49
Reply to: Tourist cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted