We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

Which is the nicest and has the best beach and food? Also considering Excellence Carmen

27 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

EPC has a much more vigorous beach, with crashing waves. Tough for swimming and not really for the timid. Food is very subjective but I can tell you that I have been to the Iberostar Grand in Mexico and also to EPC and would rate the food on par, however, I found the reservations system at Iberostar to be a huge negative for me. EPC has no reservations, which suits me.

EPC has recently been renovated and has a much newer, modern feel in certain areas. It is also a smaller, self contained and adult only resort. Another "plus" in my book.

EEC is very modern, and not too large. A calmer beach and lots of beach frontage and shade with plenty of loungers. Still going through its growing pains, as it has only been open for one year.

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

There is no comparison. IGB is a step above any Excellence resort. Reservations for dinner are easily made ahead of time or by your butler when you get there. Every room at IGB is treated the same with 24 hour butler service without having to upgrade your room as in the Excellent resorts.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

There are no butlers at Excellence resorts. There's a large, easily accessible concierge staff that's available to everyone. No upgrade for that.

The thing about reservations for dinner is that we don't know where we want to eat ahead of time. At Excellence, we can decide where and simply go, whenever we want. Also, we can dine at multiple restaurants on any given evening. Maybe we find we prefer a particular restaurant, and want to return there. Having no reservations is a must for me.

Mark

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

Having no reservations is a must for us too!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

I forgot to mention - with regard to IGB being a notch above all Excellence resorts: https:/…

Mark

Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

That is where we went on our honeymoon almost five years ago - very nice thought about trying something different but some good points being made here - how do the two beaches compare and even the Carmen excellence included?

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

Resorts win awards a lot

https:/…

Foodman

murillo
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

Although the food at Excellence PC was the best we have had yet .. The beach at IBG is far better than Excellence PC Pure white sand with blue ocean .. People have drowned at Excellence PC but I do like the big waves. You are talking about 2 of the best A I resorts in PC ...

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

Excellence Playa Mujeres

12,319 Reviews #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres

This is why it is not the best idea to go by awards while talking about resorts. In the award it is the best in the world but is rated number two on Trip Advisor with resorts just in Playa Mujeres.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro

foodmanJackson,

Rankings go up and down. The #1 ranking was for the year. But guess what resort is ranked #1 in Playa Mujeres right now? The Beloved - another Excellence resort, right nextdoor. Guess what is ranked #3 right now? The Finest - another Excellence resort, also right nextdoor. The fact is that Excellence Playa Mujeres was ranked #1 in the world for 2016.

Based on your comments about butlers and upgrades, I doubt you've ever stayed at an Excellence resort. Iberostar, Riu, and Majestic seem to be your thing. I'm glad that you're happy with those choices. Just don't give false information about another choice, particularly when you say that IGB is a notch above all Excellence properties.

Hey, I liked Iberostar Bavaro. It was good bang for the buck. IGB is very nice. I'd go if they changed their reservation policy. and the price was right.

Mark

Reply to: Excellence Punta Cana or Iberostar grand Bavaro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted