We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

Has anyone stayed at these Bahia's? Which would you recommend and why?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

Of these three destinations, the Gran Bahia complex in the Riveria Maya of Mexico has the far-superior food and beverage quality as well as a great beachfront, although their Punta Cana location is more-expansive.

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

Food for my husband is a deal breaker, but the complex in Mexico is so far from the airport! Which one in Mexico is the "better" one (eg. Tulum, etc.). Thanks for your reply.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

Bahia Principe Punta Cana is beautiful, I found the food excellent!!!

Mayanlang

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

sherrymac62:

We preferred the GBP Tulum.

With the completion of the Playa del Carmen by-pass, it's barely a 40 minute non-stop transfer, which compares to the transfer time to their Punta Cana complex, and is LOTS quicker than to their Runaway Bay resort in Jamaica.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
288 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Coba in Mexico two years ago. With a private transfer it took us 55 minutes to get to the resort from the airport. We loved the Coba section, all Junior Suites. Four minute walk to the beach from where we were, yes we timed it. The Tulum section looked nice as well. I don't think you would go wrong at any of them. The resort is huge, probably the largest we have been to but once your get your bearings and find the short cuts to your favourite places it's not so bad. They do have a trolley that runs as well. The service was among the best we have experienced.

Haven't been to one in Punta Cana yet but I can't imagine it would be a whole lot different.

Central Saanich...
Level Contributor
175 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

We have been to the GBP Akumal 5 times and the Coba section once. We found Coba to be to far from the ocean although it does have other benefits. We love the GBP Akumal. We are really looking forward to trying the GBP Ambar April 27 to May 10th. Our 30th anniversary!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

We have been to the Bahia in Mexico twice and PC 6 times. Several years ago I would not hesitate and give the nod in food to the Bahia in Mexico however our last few trips to the Bahia in PC the food quality has really improved and is pretty good.

No comparison in the beach. The beach in PC wins hands down. Soft white sand which you can walk on for miles and you don't need water shoes.

If the drive from the airport wasn't so long I would return to the Bahia in Mexico. Even with the new completed highway it is still over an hour bus ride and that doesn't include dropping passengers at other resorts. The one definite plus that the Bahia in Mexico has is that you can snorkel and feed fish right from the small dock in front of the Bahia Akumal.

8. Re: Gran Bahias' - Punta Cana vs. Mexico vs. Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:17