We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Hi. We will be staying at Mount Cinnamon from Jan. 24-31. A big thank you to Pigsterz and others for all of their responses on this forum as I don't have too many questions.

1. Is MC walking distance to both shopping centres/grocery stores and approx. how long a walk? We are used to doing quite a lot of walking.

2. Does anyone know which plaza the Scotiabank machine is in?

3. Where is the best/cheapest place to buy spices and souvenirs such as nutmeg syrup to take home? i.e. grocery store or market

4. We are thinking of renting a car for a few days. My husband is a brave driver- not me! How many days would be sufficient to see the main sights on the island? I am thinking 2 or 3 days.

5. We like snorkeling. Is there a good snorkeling place we could walk to or would we need a car for that? i.e. how far is the Aquarium restaurant as I read there is good snorkeling there.

6. I read there is a water taxi from the beach into the city. Does anyone know where they drop you off in St. Georges and if there is a schedule and the approx. cost of that?

Many thanks everyone. I haven't been this excited to go on vacation for a while! Grenada seems like it will be great.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Hi there! Wow, you don't have much long to go until your holiday. Yipee! :-)

1. MC is walking distance to the Spiceland shopping centre where there is the Real Value IGA grocery store, as well as a wine shop, some smaller shops, and a food court. Right across the street from it is the Le Marquis shopping centre where there are restaurants and some shops. It is not very far, should be easy walking for you since you are used to doing a lot of walking. Perhaps a 7-10 minute walk.

2. Scotiabank ATM is across the street from the Grand Anse Shopping Centre. You can't miss it as the Scotia building is on the corner of the main road and the side street where you turn to get to the entrance of the shopping centre. It is farther away, although still walking distance if you really like to walk. It is across the street from the Grenada Grand Beach Resort. It's probably another 10 minute walk from the shopping centres above.

3. Souveniers such as nutmeg syrup, jams and jellies, and don't forget Grenada Chocolate Company chocolate bars -- best prices are in the grocery stores. Bet you can also get good deals on fresh spices at the grocery store, but it's fun to buy some of them from the ladies in the market in St. George's or at the Grand Anse Craft Centre.

4. If it was me, I would rent for 3 days as so you don't feel like you are rushing around trying to see everything.

5. There's really not much snorkeling to be had on Grand Anse or Morne Rouge (aka BBC) beach. Best place to snorkel from shore is in front of the Aquarium restaurant and also in front of Laluna Resort (you can access this beach via the Beach House restaurant and then walking on that beach towards the other end where Laluna is located). From Mt. Cinnamon, it is a 10 to 15 drive, not really that far.

6. Keep in mind that the "water taxis" are unlike the usual water taxis you might be used to at home. These are just small wooden boats with bench seating and an outerboard (is that what they are called?) motor. They don't really have a schedule per se. You'll likely see them more often if there is a cruise ship in town.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Thank you so much- all very helpful. I may think of a few more questions before we go- I like to be well prepared!

London, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Mount Cinnamon is a lovely place. We stayed there recently. Great views of the beach and beyond. On Sunday they have a live DJ playing a mix of tunes (inc some oldies that I recognised!) with a BBQ at their beach 'cabana' on Grand Anse. It was so beautiful. It was the epitome of a beach holiday. No rain that day! Sun sea sand grilled fish and good music. Bliss. I came home to the snow with a smile on my face!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

We are heading down on Sunday as well and really excited - we will be staying further up the road from you at the Flamboyant.

We are really excited but I am getting my bearings all turned around - is the Spiceland Mall the same little mall across the street from Grenada Grand with the IGA? This also has the Scotiabank?

I am feeling like the Grand Anse area in terms of from the road may have changed a lot since we were there 5 years ago.

Does the road running in front of Flamboyant run out to and connect with the main road leading to St.Georges? Would you then turn left toward St.Georges and find the Spiceland Mall wiht the Scotiabank and IGA and Smoothie spot?? Have to try the smoothies!!

Ok complicated thank you!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Hi, I don't know the answers to your questions but will see you on the plane! I am excited to try the smoothies too!!

I have been trying to figure out where everything is in relation to where we are as well. I am sure it will all be simple once we get there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Hello. Yes the SpiceLand Mall complex is where the 'smoothis spot' is with the Real Value IGA supermarket. Its next to KFC & Courts and down the road from your hotel. Yes you are right. You come out of your hotel and walk left. It will be a good 15 mins walk. The smaller mall you are thinkjng of is Food Fair in the Hubbards Complex opposite the Grenada Grand Beach Resort which has Scotia Bank opposite. I would suggest if you can be bothered, going there first for things as its cheaper but they are not as well stocked.

There are some new shops in the SpiceLand mall but nothing has changed dramatically since you were last here. Oh I dont think the Mount Cinn. beach cabana was there 5 years ago. As far as I know there is nothing like it in the South of the island.

Have a wonderful trip!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

You are right once we are there it will all make sense!

I am starting to get my bearings again in terms of where things are in terms of the beaches....I just am starting to think that there is a lot more in the way of shopping in the Grand Anse area than I originally thought...which is great...I remember the Pizza spot La Boulangerie just down the road from the Flamboyant and Mont Cinamon...but I gather there is sushi there now - imagine!!

When we were last there 2004 before Ivan the terrible (Hurricane) we had dinner at your hotel and then asked for a tour of the accommodations. We were really impressed and definetly liked the look of the space! We couldn't find it in a package deal and we do still love Flamboyant so that is where we are excitedly going to stay! Are you on Air Canada?

London, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Try and get a tourist book like Discover or a map as soon as you arrive. The airport usually has a stack of things as you enter on the left. It makes good reading whilst you are waiting for a good 30 mins to reach immigration!

Or if no joy ask your hotel reception. Then you can get a good idea of your bearings. So much is in the South of the island between the airport and the city ie shops, banks, beaches that you may find you spend a lot of your time there bar going on day trips to different parts for the island.

Everyone is very helpful and friendly and even strangers would be delighted to speak to you. Grenadians are very patriotic and love their country so anything to help promote their country they will be happy to assist.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Thank you for the information!

Yes we are flying AC from Toronto. We booked it through a package deal with AC Vacations. Thank goodness I booked a while ago as the prices now are very high!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few questions- Staying at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31

Iee - I don't know how I missed Mt. Cinamon - it must have been the rush I was in after St. Kitts was dropped by Sunquest leaving us in the lurch - now leaving us en route to Grenada - so in the end...not so bad at all for us rightÉ Sad for St.Kitts....

Get answers to your questions about St. George's