We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

Plainville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

I think I have it narrowed down to Gosier, Francois or St Anne but am open. I understand that the nightlife isn't huge on the island but we would like to be close to some options to go out at least once or twice on the trip. There are 5 girls traveling. I would like to be near a beautiful beach and want to be close to bakery/pastery shops/restaurants, etc.. but will be driving so we can explore other beaches. I was wanting to stay in Francois but wasn't sure if we have to drive at night to Gosier to go out, how easy that would be? I have been to Martinique and stayed in Trois-Ilets and we loved it there. Can anyone help with recommendations on where to stay? Please and Thank you

10 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
211 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

Yeah...not much raucous nightlife.

If you mean sitting around a bar at the waters edge and swapping stories with people, you can find that in any of the towns and it is well worth doing. If you mean dancing all night, well....

What I have seen is ads for jump-up kinds of things where on a particular night a bar or restaurant will advertise some kind of dance party, but they seem to be somewhat random. You might ask around when you are there to find them.

Otherwise Gosier is far more active then St. Anne and St Francois. On the other hand, I far prefer the beaches in St Francois and there is a killer bakery there just north of town. I've stayed in Gosier several times and always find it neither here nor there. It isn't a quaint tropical town, but it isn't a walkable nightlife spot either.

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

If you want to be close to nightlife, I'd recommend staying near the Marina Bas-du-Fort. That is the heart of nightlife in Guadeloupe with about a dozen waterfront restaurants, and there's dancing at Zoo Rock that goes on until 6 a.m. There are also a few clubs in the center of Le Gosier that stay open late (like Le Club and Lyke Bar). There are some nice Airbnbs in the marina, so that might be your best bet! There's no beach in the marina but it's only a 10-minute drive to Le Gosier's center or 25 mins to St. Anne. Hotel Fleur D'Epee is nearby too and has a pretty beach.

There's certainly some nightlife in the St. Francois marina, though I haven't heard of all-night dancing there. It's more like dinner and drinks by the water, and sometimes live music.

There are occasional beach parties or full moon parties happening as well. Kkfet.com sometimes advertises them. The FB group Gwada Conexxion is also a wealth of information.

Edited: 03 June 2017, 13:21
Plainville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

Thank you, I did find a rental that states they are on a beach called Plage Bas-du-Fort. Looks small. I couldn't find a lot of info on it, does anyone have any information on this beach? Thank you,

Boston
Level Contributor
211 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

This is the beach at the Hotel Fleur D'epee that GuadeloupeGuide mentioned. I haven't been to this beach in particular, but it is one of the man-made beaches that are scattered in the Gosier to St Francois area. They can be perfectly nice from a visual postcard point of view and I'm guessing this one has loungers and drinks service from the hotel, which most of the natural beaches won't have.

I can see the advantage of a walk-to-beach when travelling with a group of people who may not be able to agree on the comings and goings needed to share a rental car, but just promise that you will get out and about to the excellent natural beaches and not just sit on the fake beach for a week. We stayed at a hotel beach in Gosier once and it had the bad luck to be filled with seaweed (depends on the wind and currents) so we were force to head out to the nicer beaches automatically. The water at the man-made beaches don't flow the same and so can have a dirty feel.

Last year we also spend a couple of days at the Hotel Bakoua in Trois Ilets Martinique and agree that was very nice town. Lots of restaurants, good beach and very walkable. The good news for Guadeloupe is that the good beaches there are better than the beaches of Trois Ilets. The bad news is that, in my opinion, Guadeloupe is not very walkable, anywhere. But you are on the right track with Gosier if you value the nightlife over the beaches or St Francois if you value the beaches over the nightlife. Since they aren't that far apart, stay in Gosier and get the short drive home at the end of the night, drive out to see stuff during the day and hit the local hotel beach when you're waiting for the rest of the gang to wake up etc. Regardless of where you stay, designate a driver for the drive home--I've seen police barricades looking for drunk drivers.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in Gosier and 4 nights in Deshaies at the Langley Fort Royal. We stayed near 'Perinet' in Gosier, which was perfect for us because it was just a 10 minute walk to the beach and a quick drive from Sainte-Anne. However, it was more of a 'local' area with little to no nightlife. We drove to the Marina Bas Du Fort one night and there was a lot going on there. It was beautiful to have a drink on the water and watch the sunset. It did seem like it would get busier at night and be a good spot for nightlife/dancing. I would definitely recommend staying near the Marina if nightlife is what you are looking for! I noticed some AirBnB's/vacation rentals in the Marina area when I originally looked, but they seem to go quickly so I'd recommend booking early, if possible. The other area of Gosier which seemed popular was the area by La Creole Beach hotel. There were a cluster of restaurants and hotels surrounding this area, but I'm unsure how active the area is after dark.

United States
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

lili060613, where did you end up staying? I have some of the same questions - it would be nice to spend at least part of my visit near some walkable bars/pubs at night, and the marina Bas-du-Fort seems like the best area for this.

Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

Yes, the marina Bas-du-Fort is the way to go if you'd like to go out to bars and walk to your accommodation after. There are some good Airbnb options in that area. The only hotel there is Hotel Village Soleil, which is as good of a value as the Airbnb's.

Chris - if you are traveling solo and want to meet other English-speakers, feel free to join our English language meet-ups. We meet on Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 p.m. at the restaurant L'Affirmatif in the center of Le Gosier.

United States
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind should I find myself lacking in english-speaking companions after a couple of days :)

Plainville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

I haven't gone yet, leaving on Nov 7th, I rented a condo on the Plage bas du fort beach. We are planning on driving to other beaches during the day but wanted to be close enough, hopefully walking distance to some restaurants and bars at night. I'll keep you posted how it goes.

United States
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more

We may overlap slightly depending on how long you're there for. I arrive on Nov 12th, and found an airbnb in the marina at bas-du-fort which should both be walkable for nightlife, and a good central location to explore both Grand Terre and Basse Terre!

Reply to: Where to stay- best option for nightlife and more
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guadeloupe